Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Legacy Outback Limited 4 Cyl Manual
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2004 Outback, but working on it can be quite frustrating. I've had more bolts snap off on this car than all my previous vehicles combined. Has anyone else had similar experiences with their Outback?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,755 Posts
Any vehicle with a lot of rust is a PITA.

PB Blaster is good. Spray what you are working on and let it soak a day before. Depending on what you are working on, heat. Use a small butane or MAPP "torch" to heat the bolt/nut prior to trying to break it loose.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
With Kaylee, who has lived in the Chicago rust fest environment since she rolled off the truck in late 2002...I use a lot of PB Blaster, a hammer, and replace almost every bolt I remove with a new one if it is a frequent removal bolt (washer fluid reservoir, intake, etc).

Curse you rust belt!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
When I finally get that little mother off, after pints of PB Blaster and elbow grease, I make sure I smear a little anti-seize on the bolt for the next time. I don't always remember to do it, but there always seems to be a next time.

·
Registered
2004 Legacy Outback Limited 4 Cyl Manual
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in MA, so rust is the norm, but I've just never dealt with a car where the bolts are this bad. I'm not sure if its a Subaru thing or if this car has just seen A TON of salt.

In either case, I just picked up a bottle of "Kano Kroil" and had great luck with it pulling out a bolt that PB failed on. Its too early to say for sure if its really better than PB, but so far so good.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Penetrating oil is good stuff, but if you've got some stuff that's really stuck, go for the "Hot Wrench". Pick up a bottle of MAPP gas or an oxy-acetylene setup. Heat the offending bolt until it's good and hot and then hit it with water. The expansion and quick contraction will break the bolt free of the rust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts