Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
will this work on my 06 WRX?
Good question. The original post is based on information in the Outback/Legacy FSM. Perhaps someone here has the equivalent FSM for the Impreza-based cars (assuming the WRX would share at least this aspect).

The 2010 Forester FSM has a self-reader for DTC's (see attached) that looks similar if not identical (haven't checked it closely). I would presume therefore that the 2006 probably had the same.

Worth a try . . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
tried it a coupla times in my 06 wrx, no change. My scanner connects with the IWP protocol. wondering if only CAN cars have this self diag feature?

·
Registered
263 Posts
very cool! Just tried it with my 08 OB, auto, and A/ P----
B/ just kept blinking
C/----

as stated in the original post maybe nothing for B to report.
turned key off and then started and it went back to normal display. Worked on first attempt.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The first post lists this as working for '05-'09, but a few folks with '05s have tried it without success. I've never seen anything official that said which cars had the capability and which didn't. Nothing to lose by trying it.

I just re-skimmed this thread, there is a link in ghghhghg's post which lists a different procedure for the '05- try that?

·
Registered
96 Posts
It seems to work on the 2007 Tribeca; however, while the ECM and TCM aren't throwing any codes (just getting P----), the VDC is throwing the following DTCs:

C0744
C0251
C0421

Not one of these DTCs appears in the FSM (VDC pages attached), or anywhere else online for that matter (at least in the places I can access); however, I noticed that if you replace the '0' with a '4', you will find C4744, C4421 and C4251 listed as "Detailed Codes" in the FSM.

That said, "744" is also the first part of the VIN key for the '07 Tribeca, but 251 and 421 have no apparent connection to my VIN, so I'm not really sure if I'm actually looking at chassis codes or if I'm seeing something completely different (maybe an ECM serial number).

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
To psygnal11! your P code is empty probably because you don't have anny trouble with your engine.
C codes are mented to ABS and/ or another electrical parts into your car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To psygnal11! your P code is empty probably because you don't have anny trouble with your engine.
C codes are mented to ABS and/ or another electrical parts into your car.
Yes, I understand that there is no problem with my engine or transmission... my question relates to the fact that my Tribeca is throwing C codes that are not defined in the service manual.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would ask my Subaru dealer what this code means? Otherwise you may ask to companys who repair cars after an carcrash. Possibile is this code related to the airbag module.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would ask my Subaru dealer what this code means? Otherwise you may ask to companys who repair cars after an carcrash. Possibile is this code related to the airbag module.
SRS/Airbag codes are 2-digit codes, which to my understanding, cannot be read by anything or anyone without the Subaru Select Monitor. I'm 99% certain these are VDC codes (as the sequence is ECM, TCM, VDC/ABS); however, I've checked every DTC table in the FSM to no avail.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know any of those codes myself... Have you tried looking in the FSM for any other VDC-equipped models?
I've looked in the 2007 Legacy FSMs (USDM and JDM), but I can't find anything remotely similar.

I think what I might do is open the brake lamp circuit by pulling or covering one of the pins on the pedal switch to see if I can induce it into throwing a code. C0054 is the DTC for an open brake lamp switch and 4541 is the only detailed code. If my "replace the 0 with a 4" theory is correct, I should see C0541. If not, back to square one.

UPDATE 3/20 -- I didn't have a chance to "induce" a C code yet, but I recalled that VDC/ABS codes are stored indefinitely until cleared with the SSMIII. So on a whim, I pulled the CarFax report from when I bought the car last October and noticed that in Jan 2012, there is a dealer service record described as "Wheel speed sensor(s) replaced/repaired, Electrical system checked"

4251 happens to be the detailed code for the FL wheel speed sensor signal system.
4421 is the detailed code for a power voltage malfunction.

Inducing a C code or two should confirm it, but so far the evidence seems to be backing my "replace the 0 with a 4" theory.

·
Registered
50 Posts
has anyone had success reading codes on a 2005 outback using this method?
Nope. Just tried on my '05 outback XT.

The first post lists this as working for '05-'09, but a few folks with '05s have tried it without success. I've never seen anything official that said which cars had the capability and which didn't. Nothing to lose by trying it.

I just re-skimmed this thread, there is a link in ghghhghg's post which lists a different procedure for the '05- try that?
Checked in fuse area of drivers seat, I see no such connection. I didn't remove any kick panels but I don't see it. If it's taped and wrapped possibly in wire loom I wouldn't have seen it though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Image of fusebox for Self Diagnosing 2005 Legacies with M/T

2005 Legacy 2.5i M/T Calif Emmisions:

So i just removed my kick panel and I see that my fusebox has two white plugs in it already where you would think the diagnostic plugs should be going to.

Those plugs are white.

I also see a random blue plug not plugged into anything that was slightly above the fusebox.

Anybody else remember what their 2005 M/T fusebox with diagnostic ports looked like?

Possibly the white wire plugs inserted into the fuse box are the diagnostic plugs and they were just left there by the previous owner? Not sure.

NOTE: This is the fusebox near your left knee. There is some confusion about location. Maybe I have the wrong fusebox.

The ECM looks to have already been replaced once.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The ones in blue tape up near the top look more like the drawing attached to post #15. Haven't tried it on an '05 myself.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
65 Replies
27 Participants
eagleeye
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing