Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2005 legacy wagon
31 Posts
oh you're right. I was thinking the plugs go into the fuse box. But its actually showing two dangling plugs off the wire harness in post 15.

I was reading the drawing wrong. Nice clarification rasterman!

·
Registered
2005 legacy wagon
31 Posts
that worked. it was the two white plugs with blue tape on them.

my codes were

--------------------------

p----

p (flashing)

c0105

---------------------------

the c0105 is a right rear speed sensor issue it says online. still figuring out the first two codes

·
Registered
2005 legacy wagon
31 Posts
Some where I found a subaru service manual online in PDF that discussed how to read the odometer codes and in what order to do so.

It mentioned how

p---- was like a master codes that was inclusive of low and high speed CAN issues. ( at least i think so if memory serves correct)

Does anyone know where there is info how what to make of the ER HC, P----, flashing P etc etc codes showing in the oddomenter. I've been looking for it since last night and can't find anything.

·
Registered
16,642 Posts
The information is scattered.

The very first post in this thread has information on what types of codes will be displayed and what flashing might mean.

In the 2005 FSM, (and probably the rest of the 3rd gen.) see the Body Section, under Instrumentation/Driver Info, then Combination Meter System. There's a page that explains the "Er . ." indications.

Also in the Body Section, look under LAN System (Diagnostics), List of Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). There's a list of LAN-related codes. These are "B####" codes that are not displayed by the odometer code display system.

·
Registered
2005 legacy wagon
31 Posts
Thats good info, so I assume...

So I as I'm understanding it

My first code was probably just '----' which meant trouble in my CAN network somewhere,

Second code 'P (flashing)' meant nothing because my car is a manual transmission its always going to show 'P (flashing)' ?

My final cold C0105 is probably just an old stored code that has nothing to do with the ER HC I was getting that was preventing the car from running?

Thus my problem still traces back to ER HC (CAN issue) or '----' which basically is the same as ER HC issue, just even more generic?

Soooooo, this brings me back to the wild goose chase of, how on earth do I track down where my short in my system is?

Is there a way to test my ECM or my wiring harness? The wiring harness was out of the car for a few months, then resinstalled....

My ECM was replaced by the previous owners it looks like.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was either component.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,358 Posts
The BIU module at the bottom of the steering column is the hub of the CAN network. Check & re-seat connections there, then work your way out to branch ends.

·
Registered
16,642 Posts
In the FSM, right after the section List of Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), there's another section entitled Diagnostic Procedure with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). In this section, in several of the pages for the "B" type codes, Er HC is indicated as a Trouble Symptom. These sections have troubleshooting trees that could be used.

FSM: Directory /Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy Outback/2005/

·
Registered
'06 Outback 3.0R VDC
14 Posts
I just ran this on my new car and found a code I can't diagnose anywhere.

I got C0029 and did a google search to no avail, then I checked a few ODB-II code sites and not listing...

I then checked all the links in this thread and found nothing
The most detailed one - VDCDTC.pdf posted by psygnal11 skips this number.

http://www.bedug.com/subversion/CanApp2/CanApp/obdcodes_raw.txt
gives this as a response:
C0029 ISO/SAE reserved

Any ideas?

·
Registered
16,642 Posts
DTC C0029 ANY OF WHEEL SENSORS SIGNAL
DTC DETECTING CONDITION:
• Defective ABS wheel speed sensor signal (noise, irregular signal, etc.)
• Defective magnetic encoder
• When a wheel is turned freely for a long time
TROUBLE SYMPTOM:
• ABS does not operate.
• VDC does not operate.
• EBD may not operate.

Are there any warning lights on? If not, then this could be an old code that is still stored in memory.

·
Registered
Gold 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i with automatic/manual setup
1 Posts
Thanks, very cool and helpful I'm hoping! Anxious to try this out on a new 2007 Outback 2.5i with the automatic/manual transmission just bought for daughter. Nerve wracking not knowing anything about the vehicle except she loves her 98 Imprezza with 245k mi on it!

I sent you, Ron917 a personal note about tires and AWD on this vehicle. Will check forums as I am new here today. Anyone with what to do about the different tires that were on the Outback when I bought it could personal message me if they think they can help. Thank you!

·
Registered
2009 (MY 2010) EUDM Outback 2.5 LPG and 2018 EUDM Levorg 1.6 LPG
51 Posts
Is there any chance this could also work on newer cars?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R
1,059 Posts
I was contacted by a forum user wondering how to get this all to work on a 2005. Figured why not do a quick video on how to do it. :)

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5L, automatic
35 Posts
Found 2009 Outback C codes

I followed Ron917s how-to on OBD codes. Here's what I found:

P0457 turns out this was a loose fuel cap; no idea why or how it occurred, unless I forgot to tighten it. Fixed that.

C0054 this may have something to do with ABS sensors; did not find it specifically listed in generic codes;

C0071 as with above C code, may be something to do with ABS or VDC; but not listed by exact code number in generic codes.

So, can anyone help me with the 2 C codes? My manual says the VDC icon warning may come on with the CEL. I am hoping the fix of the loose fuel cap (it was off the filler completely, hanging) will enable the codes to be reset and not an indication of other problems.

Please also help with how-to reset the codes.

Thanks and happy holidays to all. I like the fact that Christmas Eve is also the first night of Hanukkah, so most of us celebrate our holidays together this year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found the C0054 code in an ABS link to NASOIC (sic) forum. It seems to correctly relate to my 2009 Outback tail/stop light bulb that was burned out. It has been replaced. Now to try to find C0071. Thanks to this and other Subaru forums.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Thanks in this Holiday Season to Ron917 for a clear procedure to check codes for my 2009 Outback 2.5L. I look forward to learning more how-to for this car to keep it up in good condition. Thanks to all.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,423 Posts
moved this thread from the DIY to the 2005-2009 section,

added 05 to the title and made it a sticky as was requested back on post 3.

wish the rest of the years did this.:|

as opposed to screwing around with a paper clip.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.