Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4AET
14 Posts
How in the world did the local auto parts store get my code so wrong? or did they?

So at lunch, I went down there, after a few minutes on the code reader the parts guy says, its a P0213....thats an O2 sensor.
So i google P0213, and its a cold start injector...whatever that is.

Then I use the method shown here in the fuse box. Connect the 2 white boxes together and hit the trip button.
It gives me 0031, 0131, & 0134 which are all related to the bank 1 O2 sensor.
Sat there and waited forever while it went through them, but never showed a 0213, unless he cleared it, which I didn't think they would do.

Anyway, haven't read about anyone using the $5 fix on an upstream sensor, so I'm considering shelling out $100 and a prayer.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,423 Posts
How in the world did the local auto parts store get my code so wrong? or did they?

So at lunch, I went down there, after a few minutes on the code reader the parts guy says, its a P0213....thats an O2 sensor.
So i google P0213, and its a cold start injector...whatever that is.

Then I use the method shown here in the fuse box. Connect the 2 white boxes together and hit the trip button.
It gives me 0031, 0131, & 0134 which are all related to the bank 1 O2 sensor.
Sat there and waited forever while it went through them, but never showed a 0213, unless he cleared it, which I didn't think they would do.

Anyway, haven't read about anyone using the $5 fix on an upstream sensor, so I'm considering shelling out $100 and a prayer.
the $5 fix is not going to fix that,

miles on your car? = o2 sensors age/ degrade, and get dirty,

the front one makes many codes associated with it, it is a "air fuel sensor", and not just a o2 sensor.

as the ECU takes that data and runs the whole car, - adjusting fuel and air trims based on the bad data, and you get more codes.
(on a non-subaru I had like 5 codes, plus multiple cylinder minor misfires, I replaced that one front o2 sensor and got no more codes.)

in your case, I would think a p0213 was a subsequent of the ecu running on bad data from the front sensor.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4AET
14 Posts
the $5 fix is not going to fix that,

miles on your car? = o2 sensors age/ degrade, and get dirty,

the front one makes many codes associated with it, it is a "air fuel sensor", and not just a o2 sensor.

as the ECU takes that data and runs the whole car, - adjusting fuel and air trims based on the bad data, and you get more codes.
(on a non-subaru I had like 5 codes, plus multiple cylinder minor misfires, I replaced that one front o2 sensor and got no more codes.)

in your case, I would think a p0213 was a subsequent of the ecu running on bad data from the front sensor.
140k miles....probably makes sense that this would kick another code on.
I was mainly curious why it didnt show up on the dashboard diagnostic.

Anyway $100 on rock auto and a prayer looks to be the best fix.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,423 Posts
140k miles....probably makes sense that this would kick another code on.
I was mainly curious why it didnt show up on the dashboard diagnostic.

Anyway $100 on rock auto and a prayer looks to be the best fix.
maybe not present or stored at the time. (easy for that to happen)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,423 Posts
locking this thread up for now.

post problems about your 2005-2009 (BL-BP body) car with a new thread here:

Gen 3: 2005-2009 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

edit: and a quick link to post # 55 of this same thread for 2005 people (and the unique way to work the 2005 US / Canada spec,
...and maybe 2004 world year spec with the same body ?):
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/19053-05-06-09-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs-2.html#post4461042

edit 2: please be careful in reading the codes in the dash: " is that SS or 55 "?
and we have a lot more threads in 2005-2009 section on the subject of what can be read, so please search the forum,...and you will come up with useful threads from people that have specific codes,
like this one for a specific C code :
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/447257-diagnosing-p0500-dash-err-ss-rare-problem-failed-abs-module.html

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.