Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends '05 Limited has been throwing the P0031 code for quite a while, causing the car to stumble a lot when coming off of an idle ( unless he floors it), so once again I'm elected to look into it sometime later this week. Lovely! :)

Is the wiring for the Gen3 sensor the same as for the Gen2? I have all the factory manuals for the Gen2, but nothing for the Gen3's.

Thankfully for him he works for Auto Zone, so he gets a decent discount on parts ( AND they carry the Denso sensors), and I already have the special socket, so that part of things are taken care of.

I'll look first at the connector and associated wiring, then check the voltage to the heater element and the heater element resistance. What should the resistance be for a "good" sensor?

·
Registered
16,405 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being a 2.5 non-turbo, turbo, or H6, and FED or CA spec (they have different exhausts)?

Do you mean location of wiring, or schematic?
Plain jane 2.5 OB Limited, non-CA thankfully.

Schematic - need to know which wire is which to be able to put the meter on them.

I have new Denso sensors here that I bought for the '01 OB Limited, but haven't installed yet. Being that my friend is rather short on income (and still owes me for the last repairs!), I'm considering putting these in my '03 as preventive maintenance, and putting those used sensors into his car, assuming that they are the same - would save him a couple hundred $$.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Look up the part number and see if it covers from 00-09. I doubt it will though. Use the correct parts the first time. There was someone on here who used random sensors off a Audi or something and was having problems, just because they look the same doesnt mean they are.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look up the part number and see if it covers from 00-09. I doubt it will though. Use the correct parts the first time. There was someone on here who used random sensors off a Audi or something and was having problems, just because they look the same doesnt mean they are.

Since my friend works at Auto Zone, I gave him that task to doublecheck the applications for the Denso sensors. With any luck, they will be the same for both generation cars, and if not, he'll just have to shell out for the correct ones for his car.

·
Registered
16,405 Posts
Schematic - need to know which wire is which to be able to put the meter on them.
Attached page.

Terminal 6 is 12-14 V power from the main relay -- on when ignition switch is at ON.

Terminal 4 is the ECM heater control line (switching ground).

Terminals 1 and 3 are the sensor signal lines.

The connector B395 is 6 pin.

P0031 is often an open heater sensor, but there have been a few cases of problems with the bulkhead wiring harness.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts