Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where exactly the bolt or connector is near the bottom of the front door to remove the driver's side fender? I'm assuming it is under the rocker trim or something but I can't get the mud flap off and so far have been unsuccessful at popping the plugs out of the rocker trim. I have everything else removed. The well liner is free except for the two ridiculously stupid connectors that hold the mud flap thing on. So the fender is free except for whatever is holding it at the bottom near the door. Hoping someone knows what I'm going to have to rip off of there to get at it. I can add pictures if needed but I've put the project up for today so I'd have to get them later.

Also, anyone have any experience trimming the fender/fender flares on these? That's my goal here but I want to be able to retain the liner properly. It looks possible but looks like a bit of a hassle and may not do many good with how the liner sits in there.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, those are helpful. I saw some similar but I think they were for a different model. Anyway, I wish their drawings were a little better. Some of that Side Sill Spoiler drawing doesn't match what I'm seeing. But that does help. It seems I'm going to have to rip some of those clips out and probably grind the heads off the stupid fasteners in the mud guard. The mud guard is torn anyway. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in NA. Oklahoma to be a little more specific. My avatar isn't meant to be confusing but I liked the idea of referring to my car as an angry kangaroo. Kind of odd looking, not too cute but not too ugly, has enough attitude to get some work done, and highly versatile.

·
Registered
2009 Outback Wagon SE (Newport Blue Pearl/Quartz Silver Metallic)
10 Posts
I’ve pulled several of these off and the only option I’ve found is to drill out the head of the two bolts that hold the mud flaps in place. Behind the flaps are plastic clips with nuts attached. The bolts/nuts rust and then the whole clip just spins when you try and remove it. Be careful not to heat up the bolt head to much. It gets hot enough when drilling it out that the washer that is beneath it starts to melt a hole right into the mud flap. Subaru does sell replacement bolts with oversized washers which is what I use when reinstalling the mud flaps. The rears allow more room and you can get a pair of locking needle nose pliers on the plastic clips to hold them while you remove the bolts. You may have already found it but there’s also a bolt under the fender flare at the bottom of the fender.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah those little jerks got ground off. I know we all probably hate the little plastic clips that are used all over cars but I have a special hatred for anything that has a captured nut that you can't easily reach but also won't stay in place. But anyway, that did allow me to get the rocker trim pulled back enough to get to the bolts under it. There were 2 bolts at the bottom, one accessed under just the rocket trim and the other under both the rocker trim and the flare. That last one was tricky but at least ALMOST gave room for an open end wrench. So now I have the fenders and bumper off but I'm more discouraged about trimming the fenders. I don't see a great way to do it without making it a sketchy job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts