Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 H6 LLB Wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at Foresters as a second vehicle, since I am down to one now. Did have an 03 outback H6.

What to look for as "run away fast"?

Personal preference aside, is stick or auto preferable?
Better to go with one 100 K miles with no mention of HG repairs, or 150 K miles with HG, belt, etc done?
One with light (ish) rust and low miles, or no serious rust and higher miles?

Thanks.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
I've been told '10 Foresters are about the best of the lot, but, seems like that could be outside your budget?

the older ANY car gets, the less important the brand/model and the more important past care and present condition is. Shop carefully, maybe start with your friendly local soob mechanic, he may have a customer that is trading up. probably would mean the car visited a shop occasionally. And ask him about pre-purchase inspection. $100 before the deal might save you $1000 3 weeks AFTER.

certainly run if all 4 tires aren't identical.

make certain to do some warmed-up highway runs. On-Off the exit/entrance ramps. seems like a lot of reports of overheating happens when engine braking on an exit ramp. Do tight circles on dry pavement, cars should go thru with no bucking/grabbing at idle or just above. If auto, make certain the FWD fuse is NOT installed.

·
Registered
2003 H6 LLB Wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been told '10 Foresters are about the best of the lot, but, seems like that could be outside your budget?

the older ANY car gets, the less important the brand/model and the more important past care and present condition is. Shop carefully, maybe start with your friendly local soob mechanic, he may have a customer that is trading up. probably would mean the car visited a shop occasionally. And ask him about pre-purchase inspection. $100 before the deal might save you $1000 3 weeks AFTER.

make certain to do some warmed-up highway runs. On-Off the exit/entrance ramps. seems like a lot of reports of overheating happens when engine braking on an exit ramp. Do tight circles on dry pavement, cars should go thru with no bucking/grabbing at idle or just above. If auto, make certain the FWD fuse is NOT installed.
Unfortunately, I don't know (or cant remember) any local independent shops that know subaru well. There is an independent dealer not far from me that seems to move a lot of newer units.

Two one ones on me, the exit ramp test and the FWD fuse. The ramp makes sense to me, the fuse is a complete mystery to me.

It would be nice if forums like this could have a list of "local boys" that are honest, etc. Certainly pitfalls with that idea though.

·
Registered
2003 H6 LLB Wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Unfortunately, I don't know (or cant remember) any local independent shops that know subaru well. There is an independent dealer not far from me that seems to move a lot of newer units.

Two new ones on me, the exit ramp test and the FWD fuse. The ramp makes sense to me, the fuse is a complete mystery to me.

It would be nice if forums like this could have a list of "local boys" that are honest, etc. Certainly pitfalls with that idea though.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
you can ask for a shop recomendation in a new thread - someone may have a suggestion. over at www.nasioc.com there are regional vendor forums, you might searxch or ask there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts