Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving Subaru's for 19 years. On #4(2005 Outback L.L.Bean) but still own #3(96 Legacy wagon?) I will not get rid of the 96 because the 05 is a POS! I have never had so many issues with a car! Current main issue is over heating. I have replaced the thermo 3 times and can't imagine this one being a dud too. Loosing coolant into overflow, thermo hose not getting hot so I know its not opening, but then it will. Then all of a sudden no heat and it starts to overheat. So is it the heater core going bad, and another dud thermo? I love working on my own car, but this is getting ridiculous! I love to travel and this is putting the kibosh on some plans. Please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R H6 VDC
278 Posts
I have been driving Subaru's for 19 years. On #4(2005 Outback L.L.Bean) but still own #3(96 Legacy wagon?) I will not get rid of the 96 because the 05 is a POS! I have never had so many issues with a car! Current main issue is over heating. I have replaced the thermo 3 times and can't imagine this one being a dud too. Loosing coolant into overflow, thermo hose not getting hot so I know its not opening, but then it will. Then all of a sudden no heat and it starts to overheat. So is it the heater core going bad, and another dud thermo? I love working on my own car, but this is getting ridiculous! I love to travel and this is putting the kibosh on some plans. Please help. Thank you.
Have you had it looked at? Maybe give this thread a read, and see if it sheds any light on your issue. My '05 H6 has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Good luck, and keep us posted.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...0-05-h6-overheating-only-when-not-moving.html

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Could be like mine if the cooling system is the same or similar. Check the overflow hose and clamp it down. Mine's always sucking in air and creating an air bubble in the system.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,359 Posts
Aftermarket thermostats can be an issue - are these genuine Subaru thermostats that are being replaced?

Start out with making sure this is right, and if the problem persists, it's likely something else. How many miles are on the engine?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,708 Posts
sounds like bad head gasket. But, in case there's an air bubble in the system, fill with the nose up, cycle to operating temp, let it cool, recheck overflow level and cycle to op. temp again.

yes, t'stat must be OEM style. Might be a good idea to get a new radiator cap too.

if you have bubbles from the cooling system, you could try a block test. Borrow the stuff from a parts store - you just buy the chemical. Check YouTube for examples of how it's used to test for bad head gaskets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My overflow tank never gets empty enough to suck in air.

Dealership checked the head gasket and found no issue.

I did replace the radiator cap when I 1st had to deal with replacing the thermostat last June. I was stuck in Polson MT and got screwed by a shop. They got the part from Napa and it is the one the dealer recommends. But I guess I will go buy one from Subaru and try again.

But still not sure why my heat in the cab comes and goes. But mostly when I am traveling downhill. And that's when it wants to overheat too. Just strange.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
'18 OB 3.6R
64 Posts
Might want to make sure your hoses aren't bad. If they get bad enough they could collapse like a lung and cut coolant flow. But if it's overflowing the coolant bottle I'd guess head gasket failure. Then the coolant would look oily if that's the case tho.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
moved thread and updated title.

no subs for a OEM rad cap, OEM thermostat, on these.
(maybe a stant Xact stat in a pinch if they make one,....but I would still pull it ASAP for a OEM)

agree with checking for collapsing hoses, and getting a cooling system pressure test. subaru's OEM preshaped hoses are quality and not much more costly then parts store ones. (just need to buy online if the local counters want to cost too much and won't price match)

how many miles on this? did anyone pull the radiator and flush it?

if you need a new rad: CSF makes $90-100 qualtiy aftermarkets that take the OEM cap.

these are minor problems on a otherwise good car, that can balloon into a big expensive problem fast. :frown2:

aluminum engines melt quick when baked....= $1500 buys a used JDM 250hp EZ30R though...for you or a future owner if needed

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
405 Posts
+1 on only using the OEM thermostat and OEM radiator cap.

The parts store (Autozone, O'Reilly, etc) can loan you a cooling system pressure test - you'll need a deposit. It should be able to hold pressure with 0 drop for at least 15 minutes. If it doesn't, you have a leak somewhere.

Doubt this is it, but there was a TSB on the coolant overflow hose that could explain a loss of coolant. It's an easy fix, so check it out: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/287808-post3.html

I recently got a denso radiator for $80 on Amazon, but I have the H4 model.

I've experienced loss of heat due to air bubbles. Other cause would be loss of flow in the heater core.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,708 Posts
aftermarket t'stat, or 'maybe' OEM but with the 'jiggle pin' in the wrong orientation?

you may need to consider sending a coolant sample to Blackstone or Polaris or other lab for analysis - they can detect combustion chamber compounds that might point to a head gasket problem.

pushing coolant into the overflow is a classic HG symptom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts