Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power steering fluild is at the right level, and looks nice and clear red, but if feels hard to steer. WAY harder than any other car I've driven. No bubbles or foam in reservoir.

I'd like to flush it, and I've got good info on that, but after internet research, I can't really nail down if this power steering pump bleeds itself, or is there a procedure.

Bleeding procedure, if required, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Sounds to me like the steering rack ujoint is binding. really odd for one this new to be happening but you're describing the symptoms. which begs the question:
how many miles?

Subaru power steering pump failure is extremely rare.

Subaru's are really simple - just turn it lock to lock a few times and it should be golden.

The 01-04 H6's are said to be hard to bleed for some reason. If that's also the case for 2005+ H6's and you have trouble bleeding then simply turn it lock to lock a few times then literally turn the engine off and let it sit for a few hours or overnight and do it again.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I ran it lock to lock a few times. It made a funny noise on the first lock, but after that just fine. Did it again later and no abnormal noises. So, I assume it's bled.

It's an '05 H6 with 84K miles. (12K/year average) It's lived in California and South Carolina so it hasn't been used as a snowmobile.

The steering is still the same, no improvement. Relatively speaking, it takes more effort to steer than a VW Jetta or a Toyo Sienna Minivan.

I'd like to nail this down, what should I look for on a bad rack u-joint? I agree this is odd.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
how does the speed sensing function work? could there be a bad connection somewhere?

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a new thought. I will admit that it's easier to turn at high speeds, just like a car w/o power steering. Of course my PS is working, but it's as if it's not working well enough.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean 3.0R, 2009 Forester 2.5 X LTD
31 Posts
Interesting. I have an 08 LL Bean 3.0R. I've never found the steering in this car to be light. Wife's Forester and full-sized GMC truck I have steering that can be done with one finger. It seems "sportier" or "tighter". 09 Forester to my 08 is like night and day. My wife won't drive it, she says it is too hard. There's never been any problem with the PS system. Fluid is clean and full.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's been heavy from when I purchased a few months ago. I got friend with '05 XT a few hours away. I can't wait to compare the two side by side and put this a few other items to rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts