Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am resurrecting a 2005 Legacy wagon that my Daughter took away to college and I had to tow back. It "ran out of oil" on the interstate. I put another engine in it and the engine is great. While buttoning things up, I noticed a rusted through transmission cooler line that was just oozing so I replaced it and started to change the fluid and filter. The drain plug was frozen and when i muscled it, the entire plug and socket wrenched free of the pan. Taking the cheap way out, I removed the pan, abrasive blasted it and silver-brazed the socket back into the pan. I had the pan off for a week. The transmission does not work properly now. It worked great until I removed the pan.

From what I understand, I may need to air-bleed it. My question is: Can I use the FreeSSM software instead of the Subaru Select Monitor for the needed functions? Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,053 Posts
are you going to give this car back to her? ...or are you going to keep it from her so as to protect your fine work?

(and the subaru OEM oil pressure light as it functions does suck).

lots of people here running free rom-raider and a couple other things that are more functional the free SSM.

depends upon what you want to use. (a laptop, a cell phone, a tablet).

and how long you want to leave it hooked up, ...some people got whole tablets mounted on their dashboards permenent.

(I just use a laptop with free rom-raider as needed).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would use a laptop. I have one just for the rage. And NO!, she is not getting this car back. I would not blame the oil pressure light. The car had alot of neglect related issues. I am going to use it as a spare vehicle, when I don't need my F250 SD. The gas mileage will be much better. I will try the Rom Raider. I downloaded the FreeSSM already but would always want something more versatile. Thank you for your help.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,053 Posts
windows laptop. ...what is really cool is you can take logs and look at them later, or offer them up to people to review. (typically one minute logs over the period of a problem).

rom-raider has a bit of a learning curve and we have a few threads on how to start using it here.

sometimes I have to physically start and stop it a few times to get a good connection to the car,
but such maybe my own ultra cheap $10 Vag cable. vs.
the fancier $160 tatrix dongle things the real tuner crowd needs to use, and makes mention of often

(makes for needless frustration on my part when I forget to just try 2x times).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-guides/184170-romraider-logging-dummies.html

______

you might get a break on insurance too. example: some companies have a special thing in the policy that says if you leave a insured at college 100 miles away without a car you pay less, ...but can keep them on the policy and let them drive as much as they want over summer / winter breaks.).

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
Neither Romraider nor FreeSSM can initiate the AT air bleeding routine.

The transmission does not work properly now.
What isn't working properly? Symptoms?

A few thoughts . . .

Did you replace all the ATF that was lost when replacing the cooling line and then taking off the pan?

With the 4AT, when the engine is off, the level on the transmission ATF dipstick will be an inch or so above the FULL HOT marking when it's filled properly (provided the car is on a level surface). This isn't a way to check the level; just a reference for the next step. When the engine is started, the ATF level will drop to between the COLD and HOT marks. (This is the proper way to check the ATF level.) The fact that it dropped confirms that the ATF pump is working. Depending on the symptoms, this might be something to verify.

The air bleed routine basically cycles the valve body controls through their different positions, to ensure they are all filled. This can be sometimes be achieved manually, by starting the engine and moving the gear selector through all positions a few times.

The valve body hangs down into the pan area. When the drain plug fitting broke away, is it possible some of the pan material attached to the drain plug rotated inside the pan? That would bring it quite close to the AT harness wiring going to the solenoids. If a wire was damaged, or a solenoid connector (which isn't uncommon when the pan gets dented up), the transmission might work but not properly.

When the engine is running, are any instrument panel warning lights lit, or flashing?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,053 Posts
hope you are using subaru HP ATF like the car calls for (that stuff is unique).

after you get the ATF straightened out,

you can also read codes with the car's own diagnostic code reader. 2005 is particular and here is a video on it. (added late to a existing thread about 2006-2009 cars, ...2005 is unique,...and sadly subaru did not make it so easy outside these years).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...gnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs-2.html#post4461042

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
Looking for more details (symptoms, specifically) but here's my story of an engine swap leading to a broken transmission.

After unbolting everything, in order to get the motor off the transmission I needed to raise/tip the transmission up. Grabbed a floor jack and a block of wood, lifted on the trans pan, got the motor off. Did what I needed to do, lifted the trans again using the pan and a block of wood, and after installation the transmission shifted HARD and was stuck in limp mode. Basically stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. CEL and Auto Trans lights were both on.

Pulled codes, found an issue with one of the solenoids, and after verifying online the locations, I found that I had managed to lift the transmission pan right where the Duty C solenoid is.

Dropped the pan, replaced the solenoid (which was clearly bent/crushed), flattened out the curve in the transmission pan, and it drove new again.

Just something to consider. Now I use a block of wood to lift on the front diff housing, directly behind the front crossmember.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts