Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2005 L.L. Bean H6 3.0. I live in Florida and my A/c seems to not be very effective. I thought it was low on charge so a couple days ago I went to recharge it. When I put the gauge on it it said it was perfect. The clutch spins the entire time the a/c is on. But inside the car the air is at most 5 deg cooler than outside air. I wonder if it is a problem with the auto climate control panel or perhaps baffles. I only say that because I noticed this past winter I only had heat on the passenger side. And it just blew outside temp on the driver side. Any ideas or has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
The clutch spins the entire time the a/c is on.
The "clutch" is comprised of the belt driven pulley and the relatively narrow clutch driven plate that is in front of the pulley. The belt driven pulley turns all the time; the driven plate turns only when the AC is on and the compressor is running. Just to ensure proper understanding, is the driven plate spinning?

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
281 Posts
Just a thought,
I had a friend who asked me to check his AC because he thought it wasn't working since it wouldn't cool the interior.
AC was working fine but cabin air filter was so plugged that, couldn't get enough air flow to cool the interior.

·
Registered
257 Posts
As a quick check, feel the metal tubing on the suction line (the fatter one) where it comes out of the firewall and goes to the compressor. If it's cool, I assume the refrigeration side is good and the heat is partially on or airflow is a problem.
The sellers of refrigerant refill kits would like you to believe that you can tell the state of charge by simply looking at a gauge placed on the suction line. That is simply not true.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-how-test-air-conditioning-2.html#post4891657

1 - 4 of 4 Posts