Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Does anyone know of a premium shock mfg with a model for the new Outback wagons? I know it seems early at 10k miles but the rear seems substantially underdamped on large expansion joints or any type of dip in the road. It seems to be the only weak link in an otherwise great car.
Any help is most appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
JGrady,
Why don't you first try getting a good brand/kind of tires. I think the 'default' tires installed are not of highest quality for this 'quiete' an expensive car.
But don't forget to tell the tire store's installer that you have a TPM (tire pressure monitoring) system. When it's time for me to get a new tire I'll definitely consider looking for a better one (i.e.; Michellin CROSS TERRAIN or Goodyear ASSURANCE).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
J--

prob nothing specifically for 05 yet. i did find guy at Cobb Tuning pretty helpful/knowledgeable when i called them to get info on swappability of struts between impreza and legacy.

my experience with KYB GR-2 gas shocks has been horrible; not sure abt AGXs but i'll never buy another set of GR-2s...early seal failure in 3 different cars, rapid wear-out, and damping going out before gas pressure does, so you get a fast pogo stick. plus they raise the car, significantly. just lowered girlfriend's truck abt an inch by replacing shot GR2s with other brand, and shop couldn't get my Fiat with fresh GR2s aligned unitl i cut coil out of springs so the camber was reasonable.

i assume you've bought a car cover? bro lives in Galv and i've never seen such cancerous cars since i left coastal Fla

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. While new tires may help, the main problem seems to be with a pogo effect on dips and very easy bottoming with a couple of passengers in back (thin ones at that!). I own a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel pickup that was greatly improved by new shocks. Not looking to go racing but I think a better performing damper would improve the ride and overall performance considerably. Just can't find one for the '05.

cptoversteer
You are absolutely right about cancerous cars though I suspect many of the cars you saw were doused in sea water at some time in a storm. This is a hostile enviroment for anything metallic. the salt air will disolve anything made of steel, aluminum, even stainless steel rusts here. Only slower.
We have no car cover and no garage. We wash the car almost weekly. During periods of strong offshore breezes when salt water mist coats everything, all get washed at least every other day. Another preventive measure is to spray a filming amine such as Salt Terminator. Still, all these only prolong the inevitable. We'll see how well Subys hold up. I envy you folks in dry climates. Having said that, it is a fine place to live excepting the salty enviroment and the occasional tropical storm.
Thanks again for the input and sorry for the long post.
JG

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I envy you folks in dry climates.
yeah, here we just get our paint sanded off and our windshields pitted by dust storms, and the UV rots plastic and rubber in short order due to 4000' elevation...... :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think so. Subaru calls it "Multi-link with antilift and antisquat geometry". It seems to work well enough but is just under damped.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ahh ok, you don't get it there at all, checked the US Subie site. Funny how different markets get things they think are "important" for that market, like tire pressure monitors, almost unheard of here.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Maybe because people in Oz can/will check their own tire pressures? :6:

if you could see the huge % of vehicles on the U.S. roads with visibly underinflated tires (visibly from the next vehicle over!), you'd understand why they dumb it down for us. i'd estimate 40% of the vehicles i see on local roads fit this category. :28:

this is one reason why i take the idea of Ford Exhibitions or any other given sport-ute as a rollover deathtrap with a grain or three of salt....often seems a majority of the ones i see are wallowing along on underinflated tires and wasted shocks. when you combine the tires rolling under and the amazing oscillations created by a set of worn shox (they never wear out uniformly, but instead one loses all its compression damping, another has abt half its compression and no rebound, another works only in the middle of its travel and moves freely otherwise, etc etc....exacerbated by the obligatory wasted suspn bushings and worn ball joints and steering linkage....you can literally watch many cars go into sort of a rotary oscillation over bumps). :eek: started noticing stuff like this when on a motorcycle, where it can kill you. :eek: :eek: :eek:

OK, rant and thread hijack over. had i mentioned that one thing i like abt the OBS is its idiot avoidance capabilites?? :5: :runaway:

·
Registered
1 Posts
JGrady,
I am wondering if you have received any kind of information about your query concerning the dampners on your Outback.
I have a new 2005 Outback Xt with less than 3000 miles on it and it has the exact same "pogo effect" that you mention.
It has nothing to do with tires.
Quite simply, the engineers have not dialed in the correct dampening
for the suspension system.
You are correct in assuming that a new set of premium quality dampners will cure the situation.
The only question remaining is...who manufactures what we need?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing yet. I suspect the '05 aftermarket selection will be sparse for a while. I'll post if I find anything. Meanwhile, please do the same as I'm still lookin'. Bilstein, are you listening?
:cool:
Cheers

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
not sure i'd hold my breath on that one, as i haven't been able to find Bilsteins for my older Subs. maybe the move upmarket with the 05s will push development......

this is one area where the "saabaru" concept is good for us, as the more cars the Gen'ral builds from same platform, the more potential sales for aftermkt struts and the greater the likelihood of Bilstein making some. anyone for the Hummeru?

·
Registered
1 Posts
rear shocks

I don't have one but have test driven the XTs quite a bit (and drove them fairly hard on the test drive). I told several of the dealers that the rear end had some dampening problems when it's pushed near the limits (and sounds like when you go over bumps, etc.). I noticed it even when cornering very hard and excellerating out.

It makes the decision of XT vs GT wagon a lot harder...the GT wagon is incredible on the pavement.

Anyone know if the braking is a lot worse on the XT? The numbers in one of the car magazines said it was and the rotors are a bit smaller.

I'd like to drive an XT with stiffer shocks (and more dampening), better tires, and beefed up sway bars and then see how it handled. Guess it would virtually be a GT by that time with just a couple xtra inches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
caramall
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing