Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone succesfully installed and amp in an '05 model with the stock integrated H/U and ACC? I love the look of the dash in the XTLTD, and want to keep it stock, but definatly want to add amplification. Was there any consensus as to the schematics of the back of this stock H/U? If I want to run an amp with speaker level inputs - would this be running the speaker wire from the back of the H/U to the amp, then from the amp to the speakers?

Thanks for the help!
Todd

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Yes you can easily install an amp with speaker level inputs by connecting the speaker outputs of the head-unit to your amp. Check this thread for more info: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7123&highlight=Amp+speakers

However, there is not much point in doing that unless you upgrade the speakers first.

Do you have the sub? It's the best and easiest upgrade you can make to your stereo if you want more powerful bass and cleaner sound at high volume levels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the 05 outback, is the wiring harness for the factory subwoofer already installed under the front seat or do you have to run the harness to the back of the head unit? How hard is it to get to the back of the head unit (instructions anywhere?) if that needs to be done?
Thanks.
Bill

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Hi Bill, welcome to our board!

Yes you have to run the wiring harness which means you have to remove the console. It is not very difficult but it does take a couple of hours. The most difficult part is running the wires under the carpet, but there is already an opening in the carpet to pass the harness through.

Instructions come with sub.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, Sly. I think what I'm going to try and do is run a 2 channel amp with speaker level inputs for a set of new front components (yes, i'll dfinatly be replacing the stock paper cones!), and let the H/U drive the rear speakers. A while back I owned a WRX which I completely upgraded w/ H/U, 4 channel amp and all new speakers.. But i really only liked hearing fill-in music from the rear speakers, and thought it was a waste to have to buy such a big and expensive amp for that. The setup amost turned out to be a dissaster though - I bought a set of Focal 165K2's which are completely incredible - there is no need for subwoofer, unless you really want to get that huge pounding (which i don't like).. but the mounting depth was 3".. I did quite a hack job on the door, and it wasn't pretty (picture a very frustrated and bloody knuckled installer at 2am, with a dremel tool and a hot glue gun!). Good news is that I sold that car because it was too small, and should be picking up my XT Ltd. any day now (as soon as the truck comes in) and get to start over! This time, i'll be getting some speakers that really fit though.. I'm looking at Boston's PRO60.. havn't heard anything bad, but nothing good either. I know people like boston's in general though.

To Billfck - doing wiring and getting behind H/U's is defintly not difficult at all. It just takes alot of patience and delicateness if you haven't done it before. There are a few places where plastic pieces are clipped in place, and you need to pry slightly with a flat head screwdriver - which can make some marks if your not careful. Other than that it just takes time. If you are mechanically inclined, you can just start looking over the console and discover where screws are/etc.. It becomes clearer as you start taking this things apart.

thanks again,
Todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
NasdTrader
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing