Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I'm driving a 2005 outback i with some vibration issues. The problem was initially being masked by a bad wheel bearing, which once replaced, only relieved half the symptoms.

Currently I feel a vibration under stress or lag when in gear, and a general vibration that resonates more at different speeds, but always vibrates while moving (coasting in neutral). The vibration seems centered beneath the center arm rest/console.

I'm thinking this is going to be a bad universal joint. Any other ideas or indications? Also if it is the u-joint, these are non-repairable, right? Any good way to get this done on the cheap?

I should add that I've checked every axle and associated boots and they all look fine.

Thanks.

-Bob

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Have you ever changed the gear oil in the front diff?
Axles are extremely tough however after market cheapie axles are known for causing these issues. Always best to reboot original axles as long as they are not damaged by running them dry and for a long time with a broken boot. If the axle is done - an stock subaru axle replacement is the only way to go if you want vibration trouble free use.

AT or MT?

When was the last time you changed the rear diff gear oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever changed the gear oil in the front diff?
Axles are extremely tough however after market cheapie axles are known for causing these issues. Always best to reboot original axles as long as they are not damaged by running them dry and for a long time with a broken boot. If the axle is done - an stock subaru axle replacement is the only way to go if you want vibration trouble free use.

AT or MT?

When was the last time you changed the rear diff gear oil?
Its manual trans. I've had the car for a year - never changed any diff fluid. The two front axles were replaced in march. the symptoms are similar to when the axles were going - difference being they stopped vibrating when not under acceleration, whereas now it continues regardless.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Its manual trans. I've had the car for a year - never changed any diff fluid. The two front axles were replaced in march. the symptoms are similar to when the axles were going - difference being they stopped vibrating when not under acceleration, whereas now it continues regardless.
Text book cheap aftermarket axle replacement vs rebooting the stock axles or replacing damaged axle with stock axle. We have piles of threads on this here in the forums the consensus is don't use anything but the stock axles and keep your axles and reboot if they only need new boots.

Also MT the front diff and manual transmission share the same gear oil - takes about 5 minutes to drain it and put new gear oil in it. Super - super easy. I simply used a hose and fed the new gear oil in via the dipstick given this was faster and easier than the fill hole on the side of the transmission. Your owners manual will show the temp range and weight range for the gear oil you should use. Synthetic gear oil really did make it shift smoother especially on cold mornings.

Same weight gear oil for the rear diff by the way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts