Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

First thanks for the color advice from my other thread, helped out a lot! Went lookin' yesterday and found a demo obsidien black, taupe leather int. XT Ltd. for sale, could use some feedback...details:

'05 OB XT Ltd., Dealer demo (daughter of dealership owner, works at dealer)
Single driver, 10,150 miles, standard service
Add-ons...
Compass/dimming mirror
Heavy duty cargo rack, fork-mounted bike carrier
heavy duty floor mats
gorilla tow hitch
hood protector/bug deflector
STi door sills
STi pedal/pad set
Momo shifter
tinted windows
rear cargo net (which I think just about every OB has!)
Security upgrade
Paint & leather interior has been treated

Asking price is $27,500 + tax & license

Opinions on price and also any suggestions for further questions to ask??? Any help is appreciated!!! Seems like a decent deal, I've done some research and with all the goodies, etc. even taking into account a discount of $0.25/mile it seems reasonable. i haven't gotten back to them for any type of counter.

I know I can get a brand new OB for $400 over invoice (deal already squared away with a buddy), but for significantly less, I'd certainly be willing to settle on this color combo. Only real concern I have is that it's not a local dealer (~60 miles away) and a decen portion of the 3 yr/36K bumper to bumper warranty's already been sucked up.

Again, any help's appreciated!!!
Thanks,
SDTinCup

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
I assume the momo shifter means AT. 10+K is a lot of miles. How many do you normally put on a vehicle per year?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mudge,

Yes, automatic on the momo shifter. Since I moved a couple years ago, I don't drive more than about 10K a year I'm guessing. But I'd also admit that once I get my new ride I'd be putting more than that on! You're right though, that's about a year's worth of driving already on the vehichle. Got an updated price, 29,915 out the door with everything...tax, license, etc.

The woman I spoke with says that price is firm, it'll be listed on the lot for 29,900 (which I intend to verify today). I know I can get 400 over invoice for a new OB at a local dealer, and with some other research I've done...the least I'd likely be able to pay is ~29K new, plus tax license, etc.

Considering the extras on it (~1.5K), it would appear they've discounted the vehicle fairly for the mileage. It consists of commuting miles 6-7 days a week from San Clemente to Irvine, plus never went off road.

Anyway, any more feedback you've got pass it along...and that goes for anyone/everyone out there! =)

Thanks!
BG

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Where are you geographically? It's not in your profile. It does make a difference where you are sometimes. Personally, unless those specific options make you really want it, why not just get new? And do you always figure tax, title, license in your car shopping? I never do, I focus on the car price. Having to pay all that other stuff has to happen, so I don't worry about it. Trading in? You can save on taxes that way right?

So in your area with those options, how much is new compared to the one with 10k on it? Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm out in Encinitas, CA (north coastal from San Diego), store's in Irvine which is about 50 minutes away. You're right about the options, some I'd like, others it doesn't matter. The cargo rack's nice...it's Yakima so my current bike mounts will fit on it. It's tinted nice which is another bonus.

The car was quoted at 27.5K, 29.9K out the door with taxes & license (dest. charge already figured in). Based on some consumer report data and invoice costs for accessories, the invoice for this vehicle would be around 33.5K out the door, so I'd save roughly 3.4K over the same vehicle if it were new. And in all reality, that's taking out all signs of dealer holdback so changes are the savings are even higher.

If you take mileage into consideration at say $0.30/mile credited to me, that turns out to be 3K savings (out of the 3.4K I referenced above). All things considered it does seem a reasonable price for what they're offering. In my note I was very open and honest about holdback, etc. to show I've done my homework. Additionally they've gotten some decent testimonials at this dealership...potentially another indication they're on the level.

Anyway, my wife loves the black so although I might still lean towards new, it might be good for her. You are right though, going new does make the playing field a little more level for comparing things. Oh the agony of deciding such things! lol
-BG

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
It sounds like you have definitley done your research for the car so I would say do it if you want it. I just freak when I see the prices of cars skyrocketing, including Subaru. How much will the new 7 passenger be? Starting at 29k maybe, 36k loaded?

I don't like paying over 20k for a vehicle really. Oh how times change. Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually...I've done enough homework that I don't think I'll be getting this particular one. Had some more communication with the sales staff and apparently this particular car will not qualify for the 2.9% financing (60 mos) that's currently being offered. That'll translate to a $1250 difference in price over the term of the loan.

Taking that into consideration, I think I'm better off just getting a new one and keeping the peace of mind of knowing it doesn't have ANY wear and tear on it. I'll likely be contacting CarBargains.com today to have them start the bidding for me!

-BG

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Wow, you slipped that one by me! I forgot to ask about financing. Getting a low % is the turning point if I buy or not also. That does make a huge difference in the 'total' cost of the car. Good, a new one to you sometime in the near future.

Take lots of pics.

Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it almost slipped by me too! lol I was sending emails to the dealership and slipped in comments here and there to let them know I'd done my homework. The last one I sent brought up a lifetime lube/oil promotion they have going AND whether I would be able to take advantage of the current 2.9% special.

Turns out that likely because it's already been driven and the cost is not as much as a new car, I couldn't get that...even with a great FICO score (another homework thing I did! lol). Anyway, when all is said and done, just gonna go new once I decide the whole color thing (see my other post for my indecisions!).

-BG

and yes, I plan on takin' some decent pics whenever I get it...might be awhile though. I'm going to time everything for the tail end of December in the hopes of getting the best deal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That is interesting about the financing thing. I used to sell GM cars and all of the dealer demos were eligable for the same financing as one that was brand new. Only difference was the in service date and loss of miles on the warranty.

The car you were looking at must not truely be a 'demo' but actually is being sold as a used car. I know that the dealer demos that we sold never had more than 5k miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it truly is a demo, but obviously one that's got a lot more mileage than a typical demo. But you're right, it is interesting that it's being sold as "new" in the sense that it'll be the first sale of the vehicle by the dealership (and I'd likewise experience a big drop in the value after driving it off the lot if I bought it). At the same time the best rate's not available?! That's what threw me and helped me lean away from the deal...any price advantage I'd receive I'd surely loose over the course of the loan (if I were to take the entire term to pay it off). Figure I'll just wait a couple weeks and get a brand new one...eases my mind a bit! =)

-SDTinCup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
sdtincup
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing