Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
Picked up a new 05 XT OB last week and want to get that new "WRX-based" 2.5 to cough up another 10% or so (25hp). Haven't seen much, if at all, on any performance sites for this car--is it just too new, or can anyone point me in the direction of intakes, chips, etc? Do not want to hoopty it up, just get a little more oomph.

Pics of others in the new style would be appreciated too.

thanks much-
John
05 2.5XT Ltd. Black/Tan leather. Window tint a'comin'.
(new to the Subaru family).

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Don't bother with a cold air intake, they don't do anything for turbo cars. A chip? You could get an accessport from Cobb Tuning or something for a thousand dollars and tune your engine yourself for HP. Exhaust would be nice, but no aftermarket yet for your car. Might have to wait this one out for a year for real good stuff. But as for engine, maybe a more free-flowing air filter for now and wait for any big improvements later. Brian

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
As far as I know, there are not any mods out yet for the new legacy/outback line. A chip upgrade would definitly juice it up a bit. It's only a matter of time, however.

·
Administrator
4,356 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of performance parts for now, I'm sure there will be an aftermarket explosion here within the next 6 month or so for the new Legacy platform. It just takes a little time ya know, look at the Forester XT for example. It was kind of like the curve ball that Subaru threw out, who would have believed that a Forester could outperform the mega-popular WRX? Now there is an incredible aftermarket for the Forester XT, I can guarantee that the new Legacy platform will far exeed that and may even overrun that of the Impreza in the long term.

So we'll just have to wait and see, time is on our side though so don't fret :)

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Yeah, soon enough. I am guessing Cobb will be one of the first. I don't think aftermarket for Legacy will ever outpace the Impreza stuff though. It is more of an upmarket car and I think the price will be prohibitive to the younger crowd. Plus, there are just too many Imprezas around, both N/A and turboed. The older models are becoming cheaper and cheaper as people trade up or "upgrade." In another 2 years I think a lot of the rice crowd will be sporting ragged out 02-03 WRXs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently wrote to the people at Xcceleration.com. The "stage" performance packages that are designed for the new Legacy GT are compatable with the OBXT.

My only concern with doing something like this would be the "piggy-back" Engine management system that is offered with the kit. I want my car to be as reliable and durable as it is now. Giving false readings to the stock ECU does not seem condusive to a healthy automobile. In researching other options, I have stumbled across a company called EcuTek. This company reprograms your stock ECU to take advantage of any of the modifications you may choose to make. There are many testimonials with respect to the advantages of going with reprogramming the ECU rather than using a piggy-back type Engine management system.

You can find out some interesting infromation about such things at the following web sites:

www.xcceleration.com

www.EcuTek.com or www.EcuTek.com.au

The EcuTek company does not claim to have anything for the OBXT at this time, but I do believe that it will not be long. I am in no real hurry to make modifications anyway. My OBXT only has 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your '05 XT does, in fact, already have a cold air intake (and yes, it does help) stock from the factory.

The '05 XT has a new air filter design and, last time I checked, neither K&N nor Fram make a replacement for it yet.

I noticed a very slight improvement when I changed the oil with synthetic. Admittedly, its the wife's car so I don't have that much butt time with it.

IMHO, the most significant omission on the car is a boost gage. A boost pressure regulator (which actually controls the actuation of the turbo's wastegate) would be a good performance mod as long as you can see that the boost pressure isn't getting too high (and it would take some research to determine at what point "too high" is).

A mechanical boost gage can be had for about $50 retail (uninstalled) and the regulator shouldn't be too expensive. Done right, both will require running (separate) 1/4" tubing lines through the firewall. Electrical boost gages are in the $200 range. These offer greater flexibility in gage mounting locations.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
rwsub said:
I recently wrote to the people at Xcceleration.com. The "stage" performance packages that are designed for the new Legacy GT are compatable with the OBXT.

My only concern with doing something like this would be the "piggy-back" Engine management system that is offered with the kit. I want my car to be as reliable and durable as it is now. Giving false readings to the stock ECU does not seem condusive to a healthy automobile. In researching other options, I have stumbled across a company called EcuTek. This company reprograms your stock ECU to take advantage of any of the modifications you may choose to make. There are many testimonials with respect to the advantages of going with reprogramming the ECU rather than using a piggy-back type Engine management system.

You can find out some interesting infromation about such things at the following web sites:

www.xcceleration.com

www.EcuTek.com or www.EcuTek.com.au

The EcuTek company does not claim to have anything for the OBXT at this time, but I do believe that it will not be long. I am in no real hurry to make modifications anyway. My OBXT only has 500 miles on it.
Thanks for that, the EcuTek dyno graph for the GT looks very impressive, but remember that's the Aussie version which is a different engine to the USDM GT (2.0L vs 2.5L) although both are rated the same power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts