Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard some noise which sounded like a loose heat shield. Popped the hood just to take a look to find a broken bolt. What bolt is this and is it safe to drive?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,150 Posts
I am going to say no. I think it is one of the mounting bolts for the adapter for the timing belt tension-er. Give 10 min. I will see what I find. I just look at my car.

·
Master Caster
16,150 Posts
I do think it is a tension-er mounting bolt. You don't have any CELs? It could jump time, you should take good care.

Unless I am wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do think it is a tension-er mounting bolt. You don't have any CELs? It could jump time, you should take good care.

Unless I am wrong.
I don't believe it tensioner bolt, it outside the timing cover. Bolt is beside one if the timing cover bolts and below the AC compressor. No CELs (as of now but this just occurred today).

·
Master Caster
16,150 Posts
I don't believe it tensioner bolt, it outside the timing cover. Bolt is beside one if the timing cover bolts and below the AC compressor.

Ok, NOT tension-er, tension-er mounting bracket.

I think its for the casting which the tension-er mounts through. Look closely at your car and the schematic. That casting is behinds the front cover, but an adapter/bracket. Look close again. That top bolt is NOT behind the timing cover, it is exposed in the exact location as in your pictures.

Take off the timing cover and prove me wrong.

Anyone else chiming in, also with other identification is welcome.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Stressing an earlier point, an insecure timing tensioner bracket is a Bad Thing. Worst case, you trash your valves and have to pull the engine and rebuild the heads.
Since the tip of the bolt is presumably badly stuck in there, you'll probably have to do a full timing belt job to extract it. The TB job is not too hard.
How did the bolt get broken?

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,713 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts