Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT 5MT Atlantic Blue/Graphite
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am racking my brain trying to figure out if the price I am being asked to pay for the '05 XT that I want is a good deal or not.
A little BG info: I am currently going through my local Credit Union's auto buying service to purchase the car becuase of the great interest rate that I can get and because the service can supposedly get me such a great deal. The problem is that the only 05 OB XT that they can find for me has some options on it which I do not want. They have agreed to remove them and credit the price, however, the prices that they are quoting me seem to be lower than the invoice prices that I have seen listed both on the Auto Buyer's website and other websites. I spoke to the rep about this and he claimed that "their websites information is wrong a lot of times".
Does anyone know where I can find accurate pricing info for Invoice and MSRP prices for both the car and options?
I am also thinking that the price quoted for the car by the auto service is too high, and that I could probably negotiate a better deal at a dealer myself.

Any help that you guys and gals can give would be greatly appreciated. I am so looking forward to owning my 1st Subie! :)

- Greg

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a web site that I am sure has been in one post or another on this board. www.cars101.com. This guy gives a lot of good pricing information.

Just for reference, I walked out the door with mine tax, title, tags, processing fee for $30,587.

I purchased an 05 OBXT, 5MT with the auto dimming mirror compass, (a must have), the all weather mats, (another must have), and the rear cargo net.

MSRP $31,150. I feel that I got a reasonable deal. The car is worth every penny!

·
Registered
2005 VDC Wagon, Black.
7 Posts
I signed a purchase agreement last month for a 2005 Outback VDC Wagon, for a price $2,300 below MSRP. This is what I did:

I signed on to Consumer Reports and obtained an itemized dealer invoice cost listing, which showed what it costs the dealer for the standard equipment and each available option, and what each item's MSRP was. (Consumer Reports suggests 4% to 8% mark-up from the invoice is reasonable for the seller.) Without that valuable data, it is hard to know if a dealer's quote is realistic or not.

Thus educated, I logged in my information with a number of on-line price providers, many of which provided a fast response, and e-mailed me a quote for the specified model and options. I also searched the AAA-recommended sellers for their best price. I visited 3 of the dealers who provided reasonable prices. Finally I decided to buy from someone who I was comfortable with, whose quote was in the ballpark of the lowest figures I got.

So, what I suggest is you obtain an itemized price listing from a source as Consumer Reports (it may cost you $12.) From there, it comes down to shopping around, asking firmly and politely for the best price from each dealer, and not committing to the transaction until your research was complete. (This negotiation is best done in person; it is hard to do over the phone; and you learn that even the price quoted to you over the phone or the Internet isn't really final-final.) And you be clear that the total price quoted is all-inclusive of all fees and charges, and that you needed to add only taxes (otherwise dealers could tack all sort of profit margins in at that space.)

One last thought: You'll have more flexibility if you are willing to wait for a model of your specification; otherwise, it is more of a demand vs. supply situation; the dealer who has it at hand has leverage over you.

·
Registered
2005 VDC Wagon, Black.
7 Posts
Some sites worth visiting before you choose a dealer or car buying service:

AAA (dealer price; free quotes from selected dealers)
http://www.aaa-calif.com/auto/

CONSUMER REPORTS (dealer price, itemized listing for $12)
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT<>cnt_id=23499&FOLDER<>folder_id=23439

EDMUNDS (dealer price; dealer locations)
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/subaru/outback/index.html

INTELLICHOICE (free quotes from selected dealers)
http://www.intellichoice.com/

KELLEY BLUE BOOK (dealer price)
http://www.kbb.com/

All the best!

·
Registered
'05 3.0 R LLBean
12 Posts
All of the above posts are good suggestions. The more data you have going into the dealer negotiations the better! Also, you can check our local Rochester Subaru dealer's website specifically to compute the MSRP and the cost we pay for the model of interest--> http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/prices.html

I believe prices in CA are slightly higher due to additional emission controls, so adjust accordingly. Also, make sure you get an "out the door price" from the beginning. There are some posts on this site that discuss dealer scams where several hundreds of $ of questionable costs are added on after you agree on a price.

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
102 Posts
California dealers also pay an additonal $275 in advertizing that will be passed on to any invoice price you get from the internet. This fee is only applied in some states - CA, NV and WA are some of them.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT 5MT Atlantic Blue/Graphite
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your advice!
I am going to keep researching as much as possible and try a couple of other purchasing options as well. I am pretty fed up with my credit union's car purchase service at the moment, so I am fairly sure that the deal's off with them!

Oh well, they say good things come to those who wait, so wait I will. :)

- Greg

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited
6 Posts
www.edmunds.com has consistently given accurate up to date pricing information. I have used Edmunds as a reliable source for over 25 years. Before the Internets they published the pricing in book form. I used them to obtain the pricing to buy my new 05 Outback XT Limited. My Outback, with numerous accessories had a MSRP of $33,300. The invoice was $30,388. I was able to buy for $500. over invoice, which I thought was a very fair price. The dealer also receives a "holdback" allowance from Subaru to cover the cost of carrying his inventory. This amount can equal up to 2% of the MSRP.

·
Registered
2005 VDC Wagon, Black.
7 Posts
From elsewhere this site I've learned that Van Bortel Subaru - Rochester, NY provides quotes online at:
http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/out2a.html

The prices at this dealer appear lower than most quotes I recently got from NYC-area dealers (and that was upon much independent research & negotiations), so I think this site would be a very useful benchmark for new buyers.

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
102 Posts
Count - that is a great pricing guide. Really the best I have seen.

·
Registered
2005 VDC Wagon, Black.
7 Posts
Thanks, tlippy. Thanks also to souhrada, for pointing out the Rochester dealership. Wish there would be more like it statewide New York and throughout the country!

·
Registered
Obsidian Black 2005 Outback 2.5XT 5 Speed Wagon & Brilliant Silver 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon 5MT
174 Posts
Anytime anyone needs anything... pricing, etc, PLEASE feel free to call me. Our website offers pricing, but we have access to more cars than any dealer in the NE. Our toll free number works nationwide.

1-800-724-8872
Karl Lindemuth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts