Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a newbie to Subaru and this forum.
Just got a silver OBS SE. Got a good deal $19129 "drive out"(including TT&L). The dealer asked if I wanted the security upgrade kit? Does this mean that the stock has no security whatsoever? Or does the upgrade mean anti-theft? I'm a li'l confused here..Thanks in advance for ur responses....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was confused about a decal on my driver window called Theft Avert. With some help from people here I narrowed it down to being about a thing added to the glass that is only visible in ultraviolet light, supposedly info to trace the car.

I knew from the original invoice that it didn't have the optional security upgrade in the list. The word "security" is in the dash, just never lit. But my '04 was bought after having been out for sale a long time and so at first I thought that decal meant it had been dealer installed at some point.

Your price seems good for an '05, got mine at $16800 including the trade-in of a '94 Sonoma. 228 miles on the odometer as I drove it away.

Anyway... security upgrade is the motion sensing alarm system, otherwise all you have is the keyless entry with panic button. I even checked a wire connector under the driverdoor threshold panel to see if it was connected or not, as per the owners manual it says the dealership might put it into passive alarm mode that way. If you read your manual it'll probably say the same.

Seems to me that Theft Avert might not be used on all the Subaru's either, and somehow I just ended up with it on mine. I don't recall others here saying they had it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Right. If you didn't get the "security upgrade", which mine doesn't have either, then there's no security on the vehicle. I don't have any use for audible security systems but I wish the car had an immobilizer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you got a good deal on your. I got an automatic one with security upgrade for 21,200.00 (OTD) couple weeks ago. I have seen two different issues with the security (may be). First, it switched to valet mode (disable the alarm) by itself when I turned off the engine (this happened once). Second, the door was locked and was armed (by itself) when I slammed shutting the door (couldn't duplicate). This means there is a potential lock out (if key is left inside the car). I wonder if any body has seen anything like this or has any suggestion. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm finding it interesting how many differences there are between the various countries.

In the UK, the Outbacks come with Thatcham Category 1 security - a defined standard that is required by many insurers here for high value cars.

I suppose we got to have some extra benefits here in the UK to justify paying higher prices for cars than just about every other country on the planet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
pn2005 said:
I think you got a good deal on your. I got an automatic one with security upgrade for 21,200.00 (OTD) couple weeks ago. I have seen two different issues with the security (may be). First, it switched to valet mode (disable the alarm) by itself when I turned off the engine (this happened once). Second, the door was locked and was armed (by itself) when I slammed shutting the door (couldn't duplicate). This means there is a potential lock out (if key is left inside the car). I wonder if any body has seen anything like this or has any suggestion. Thanks.
yes, my friend. I beleive your car is still in valet mode. I beleive the resolustion is in your manual

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
persianpunisher
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing