Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's an almost unaswerable question, but I pose it to the sagacious of this Board...

Brand new '05 OBXT MT. Has the OEM Bridgestones. I live in Upstate NY, lots of snow and ice but roads plowed clear most (but not all) days.

I can afford to do one of the following:
-Keep the Bridgestones and hope they aren't as bad as everyone says.
-Get some better all season tires and use them year round.
-Keep the Bridgestones, and buy some dedicated snow tires.

Your opinions? Of course, it would be optimal to get some better all season tires AND get dedicated winter tires, but that's not in the cards at the moment.

Tiger:banghead:

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I would say if you can pretty much decide not to drive when there is snow or ice in the forecast, then you can get by with all season. But if there is any chance you will have to drive in bad winter conditions, then I'd say get some winter tires.

As for the RE-92s, they are about average in the dry, but poor in rain or snow. They can get you by if you don't push them and are careful on rainy days. They will not last very long however. From all the reports, they last about 20,000 miles max, but they get dangerous at about half-thred depth.

So you might want to change them after the first year and get some good all-seasons.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a XT with 4000+ miles and have mixed ideas about the RE92's. I've driven in the snow with them and they have been decent - not bad but not good. I'm definately replacing them at some point with the Falken 512's. Vulcan tire has them for $91 each:
http://www.vulcantire.com/ze512_t.htm
I would get the Pirelli P Zero M+S but they are about $45 more per tire and are similar in performance.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Tiger, for what it's worth, I've been driving on relatively cheap all-seasons this entire winter and I've never run into a single problem in the snow/wet/ice. They are Kelly Explorer's and I got them at one of the local Dunn Tire shops. 4 tires installed for less than $375.
However, being a '97 with 150k+ miles I wasn't looking for durability, so keep that in mind with your new car.
The guy at the shop said something about the Kelly's having a better tread pattern (square) for our type of snowy climate. It sounded like he was just making up BS, but who knows, they've been great so far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OneOBS said:
I've got the Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S tires and I can't say enough good things about them. I took them up to a ski area over the holidays and they were great in snow, and on snowpack/ice. they are z-rated all-season tires and as such, have stiff sidewalls. Dry traction is great. They were my first mod.
Ditto on the Pirelli's.. I just wrote a little mini-reveiw of them in anotehr thread a few down. I got the 235-55-R17's for my OBXTltd, and love them. I'm trying to sell the stockers for $200 - so that may be something to think about.. the less miles you put on them, greater your chances of selling them and recouping some tof the money for the new tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
NasdTrader
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing