Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had it about a month. First replaced the banjo bolt on the turbo, it had a bit of restriction to air but not much. Then replaced the pain in the ass one which did not have a filter for some reason as depicted in the service bulletin... the new one did but I plan on keeping up with the maintenance and using excellent oils. There was a small hole from heat in the plastic pipe going to the turbo, I suggest you guys inspect for that because it does alter the mixture. After it was replaced the car did act a bit more subdued. The turbo appeared fine though.

I was thinking of getting an accessport but I opted instead for the 15 dollar OBD II cable on ebay. I downloaded ECU flash and practiced with the program that was already in the ECU then I went to the forums at romraider and copied and pasted all the Stage 1 mods for the 05 OBXT and I just tested it today. Runs great so far. Plan on doing downpipe, up pipe and exhaust, and that will probably be it for me and my wallet (and wife's patience >.>)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep us updated, have you had it since new?

·
Registered
5 Posts
When, I find the car I like, I will be using ECUFlash as well and installing a wideband just to get it tuned to 93 octane here in NYC. I does make a small difference.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Had it about a month. First replaced the banjo bolt on the turbo, it had a bit of restriction to air but not much. Then replaced the pain in the ass one which did not have a filter for some reason as depicted in the service bulletin... the new one did but I plan on keeping up with the maintenance and using excellent oils. There was a small hole from heat in the plastic pipe going to the turbo, I suggest you guys inspect for that because it does alter the mixture. After it was replaced the car did act a bit more subdued. The turbo appeared fine though.

I was thinking of getting an accessport but I opted instead for the 15 dollar OBD II cable on ebay. I downloaded ECU flash and practiced with the program that was already in the ECU then I went to the forums at romraider and copied and pasted all the Stage 1 mods for the 05 OBXT and I just tested it today. Runs great so far. Plan on doing downpipe, up pipe and exhaust, and that will probably be it for me and my wallet (and wife's patience >.>)

I assume you're using the mickeyD map? FYI, it worked well for me as well, but it did give me some knock. You will definitely have to do a lot of datalogging to see if it causes knock with your engine. Then reduce timing a bit where it knocks. It is definitely not a plug and play tune. I ended up completely redoing most of the timing and upping the boost to 16 psi as well as playing around with tip in before I was comfortable with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Necro... sorry I got an 87 Porsche 951 and have been immersed in it pretty much. I have left this map plug and play and have not had any issues. The only problem has been a loping idle more or less although even this is not bad and will probably improve with thorough tuneup. I just went over 104k and replaced the timing belt. Still need to do the plugs and wires and some other knickknack things but it's running like a subaru. My only complaint is system voltage is a bit lower than I would like it to be sometimes and I wonder how that affects the injectors. I installed the oled digital boost gauge (gtboostgauge.com) and can tell you that the car will rarely boost over 13psi without this map and with this map I get to nearly 17 at times. The car is MUCH more powerful with this map. I should say that I just use 93 pump gas exclusively. I can't get too crazy with this car due to finances causing wife aggro haha

That gauge is great by the way; i am going to see if he'll make one for the dimensions of the Porsche at some point.

Oh! Almost forgot... the cpu will occasionally throw a code and light the check engine light if I get behind a car or truck with bad exhaust. It took me a while to figure this out until I got behind a garbage truck one day and smelled the exhaust of it... then a few seconds later, light came on. ha... not sure if this is related to the mod, but it's happened about 5 times.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Double-necro! I don't remember my old mirage account info. I ran the wheels off that '05 XT!! Onward to 2020!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Daniel_N
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing