Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.0XT Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone

I have owned the car for almost 3 years, due to a mistake I made (installed 3" turbo-back without a tune). I assume the car leaned out on cyl 2 and lost compression, the cause is still unknown at the moment. so after much thought and internal (in my head) discussion, I settled on a swap. I evaluated getting a USDM engine, was not able to find one for less than $3k and less than 100k miles. I evaluated getting a USDM Spec-B donor to get an engine and a 6 spd trans swap in one shot, I couldn't really justify @$12k. Upon much searching and some discussions with my mechanic, I found and settled on a JDM swap.

I "found" or it found me, IDK honestly, a JDM 2005 EJ20Y at a JDM importer in Belleville NJ, Engine, 5sp mt, and ECU. for almost half of the USDM engine option. (Acquired in May 2019). There began the phase of the current season.

This is my google photos album, I will continually update this and sometimes upload and reference some pics directly. The pictures are since I have owned the car.

Currently awaiting an intercooler (will include details later), in order to get the car actually started from the swap.

This is the current list of mods or specs done
  • 2005 Jdm ej20y - z20 heads - stock twin-scroll Turbo - stock TGV delete - stock exhaust AVCS
  • Ej20y JDM ECU
  • Stock ECU tune for inspection
  • Fresh timing belt
  • Valve cover gasket
  • New accessory belts
  • New spark plug and coils
  • KillerB baffle
  • Moroso oil pickup
  • Updated oil pan, new gasket
  • H6 oil filter
  • Jdm 5mt
  • Sachs clutch kit
  • 3" turbo-back high flow cat exhaust
  • Custom-wrapped downpipe
  • Front mount intercooler
  • Bypass valve
  • Fujimoto oil valve
  • iWire AVCS wiring harness
  • Snorkel with in-line air filter
  • Air-oil separator
  • Mishimoto radiator
  • Boost Guage in cubby hole
  • Oil temp and pressure Guage in cubby hole
  • Lc-2 with air-fuel ratio Guage in the glove box
  • Kartboy Short shifter
  • Primitive racing Skidplates front and rear
  • Custom rear springs to support 400-pound tongue weight while fully loaded
  • Adf 1" lift
  • Kyb shocks and suspension components all around
  • 4000lb class 3 tow hitch with 400lb tongue weight
  • Towing light kit
  • Towing brake controller
  • Legacy gt front and rear brakes and calipers
  • Blizzak 225/60R17 for winter
  • Falken Wildpeak Trail 225/65R17 All Seasons
  • Rear diff Whiteline bushings
  • Trans mount
  • Engine mount
  • Shifter bushings
  • Full front and rear suspension bushings replacement
  • Jdm double din kit with electronic HVAC controls
  • Jdm hazard switch
  • 96svx.dc stereo wiring harness
  • Smart tap flasher relay
  • Kenwood touch screen stereo double din with Android auto
  • Kenwood 2 way speakers on doors
  • Kicker sub box and amp
  • 3 channel dashcam, front, inside and rear
  • 1500w inverter in rear
  • Clear corner headlights with hid low and high
  • H6 LL bean clear turn signal tail lights
  • Led bulbs all around
  • Cabin air filter glove box kit
  • Rally Armor mud flaps
This is the list of the current pending things to finish this stage of the build
  • FMIC and bumper trim and weld
  • Install Diverter valve
  • install 3" MAF pipe
  • install straps on the snorkel
  • finish AVCS wiring in bulkhead and ECU
  • finish all the gauges install inside
  • Calibrate the WB, gauges, etc
  • Collect Log
  • Tune
  • Finish the Wiring for
    • Amp/Sub
    • Inverter
    • Rear Dashcam
    • trunk lock mechanism
    • reverse lights
To-Do wishlist
  • Winch
  • Lights
    • Ditch (have brackets)
    • forward light bar
    • acquired Switch console with the power mirror fold and the traction control, with the functional buttons to be used as the aux light switches)
  • Push-Bar
  • Rear exterior bumper tire support
  • Canopy with incorporated Roof Basket
  • diff locker (ordered) - its the TorQ Locker unit
  • CB Radio
Future wishlist
  • Turbo - ???
  • Injectors - pink top feed - adjusted to dark blue top feeds by RoughDiamonds suggestions
  • Fuel pump - dw65c
So the overall timeline has been
May 2019 - acquire swap, dropped off at the mechanic, Maintenance and engine add-ons done
  • Spark plug and coil pack replacement
  • oil baffle
  • oil pick up
  • updated oil pan and gasket
  • timing belt service
  • clutch
  • valve cover gasket
Sept-Oct-Nov 2019 - End of the Month, the mechanic had schedule availability, the car was dropped off
  • start of the removal of old engine and transmission
  • clean engine bay
  • swap the "new" stuff in
  • install snorkel
  • steering rack
  • new kyb suspension with custom rear springs and ADF 1" lift
  • custom downpipe
  • AOS
  • Wiring for gauges and ECU
  • piping for the boost gauge
  • Add all the fluids
  • Rally armor mudflaps
  • short shifter
The Intercooler Debacle
So I had the EJ25"7" or "5" (not sure) I believe as the stock USDM engine and had acquired an upgraded TMIC for it. my naiveness at the moment of swap acquisition and it arriving without an intercooler was not alarming. at the tail end of the swap, my mechanic contacts me with pics and discovers the issue. it took me a couple of days to research and figure out options vs costs. Stock TMIC was "OK" but not desired, and at the beginning unable to find even 1 at the budget figure. I ended up "settling" for an Australian FMIC kit for our gen, at the moment still waiting for it to arrive. It being the final hardware piece needed to start the car.

I will add more details on all the parts, links and some lessons learned as I continue to dump the information in my head, onto here.

A couple of threads on here that I have referenced and read thoroughly
05 2.0XT build - JDM EJ20Y swap, XRT stg2+, on-going mods
Immobilizer Reverse Engineering

Other areas of support
FB groups
A couple of acquaintances on FB that become friends and partners in the build
My Subaru mechanic - Jason @ EJ Fab Shop
Google - :LOL:

Parts used - not being compensated or anything otherwise, what I ended up acquiring for the build
Subaru AVCS Wiring Kit - Bulkhead Only
FMIC
Snorkel
MAF Housing
I acquire most of my OEM parts from RockAuto

That is all for now, Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,331 Posts
That's quite a list! Only saw a few things that jumped out at me:

- diff locker (ordered)
I assume you mean the rear diff..? One of the "new" OBX units?

- Injectors - pink top feed
I'd skip these: prices are still fairly high on these (the JDM STI tax). The dark blue top feeds flow the same rate, are READILY available, and are easily upgraded later.

- turbo ???
On the 20Y, stock turbo should be the TD04HLA-19T. A better option to the VF38 and should be plenty responsive for day-to-day. Starts to become in efficient at the 325-350 range, but remember: you exhaust manifold, uppipe, and downpipe are specific to the HLA-19T/VF38/VF44. Standard STI/single scroll/other twin scroll stuff WILL NOT WORK. If you upgrade, the whole kit-and-caboodle needs to be changed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's quite a list! Only saw a few things that jumped out at me:

I assume you mean the rear diff..? One of the "new" OBX units?

I'd skip these: prices are still fairly high on these (the JDM STI tax). The dark blue top feeds flow the same rate, are READILY available, and are easily upgraded later.

On the 20Y, stock turbo should be the TD04HLA-19T. A better option to the VF38 and should be plenty responsive for day-to-day. Starts to become in efficient at the 325-350 range, but remember: you exhaust manifold, uppipe, and downpipe are specific to the HLA-19T/VF38/VF44. Standard STI/single scroll/other twin scroll stuff WILL NOT WORK. If you upgrade, the whole kit-and-caboodle needs to be changed.
Thank you for the info on the injectors information, I will update my notes, do you happen to know the part number?

For the turbo situation, I was going to keep much of the existing parts from my USDM including what you mentioned, the exhaust manifold, up pipe, downpipe combo.

I found out the hard way it doesn't fit ;-) and its a diff bolt pattern. there is a franken downpipe my mechanic made, from a hks catless wrx downpipe, and Avo head, Flowmaster 3" hi flow cat, and a small extension.

that's what I was hoping for with the tune 300-350, a happy medium with reliability as much as it can.

going with XRT for the tune, the intercooler is the bain of my existence at the moment

I certainly appreciate the info
Thank you

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got a read on the immo chip, but the jdm chip is not playing nice on the read or the write.

I used a slightly different adapter than recommended in the post, I was not being successful with the lining up of the pins

The cutouts on this one helped me line up the clip to the chip better.

Here's the link for it
Pomona SOIC8 Clip

Currently waiting for my mechanic to start wrapping up the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good day today

We worked on the intercooler and piping piping, and ecu wiring at the bulk head

To run wires for this plug, take the white cap, andbthe front lock filler, run the wire strip terminate and then slide it in in reverse. Will not feed wire already terminated.

For those with skid plates the lower intercooler brackets mount at the same point

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was attempting to edit the post from Friday with the link for the overflow tank, but either it is not letting me or I can't see it... ;-)...hehe the edit period expired.. ;-)

the part should be here on Tuesday. and hopefully, the last thing needed to get the car completed.

SUBARU COOLANT OVERFLOW TANK STI 2008-2019, WRX 2008-2019, 2.5GT 2009-2010

in their description they state
"This is the same Overflow Tank that is included with our 2008-2014 STI Front Mount Intercooler Kits. As a stand-alone item, it helps to clean up the engine bay and tuck the overflow tank lower and out of sight. Constructed of aluminum and powder coated in a wrinkle black finish helps keep the engine bay tidy."

basically the reason is that the pipe needs to pass through the same space as the tank already occupies, at first I thought the primary reason was due to my having the bigger radiator. although I don't think that helps the situation even with a regular radiator this can relocation is needed

based on the instructions its smaller, of course, the amount of coolant in the overflow is reduced, but and a big BUT, is that at least you have one. running a car without albeit possible, it best because of internal and external temp fluctuation.

Instructions for SUBARU COOLANT OVERFLOW TANK STI 2008-2019, WRX 2008-2019, 2.5GT 2009-2010

it uses the existing bottom insert position and the fan hold screw position.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2003 Audi TTq, 2000 Ducati M750
295 Posts
The whole setup is looking really good, that's a massive core!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The whole setup is looking really good, that's a massive core!
Yes it's much bigger than I thought.

Had a productive day today.

• Finished all the intercooler piping. My mechanic did a beautiful job on the custom flange for the diverter valve
  • Finished the bulkhead wiring and connected the harness
  • Checked and connected the leftovers in the engine bay
  • Wired all the Guages and wide band
  • Did the cubby hole Guage pod install
  • Boost Guage came with standalone pod, used it for the afr Guage output of the wideband
  • Rerouted some stereo wires to run along the passenger side along with the new wiring for amp and inverter
  • Swapped the blinker flasher for the smart tap
  • My mechanic 6 or 7 broken screws on and around the headlight brackets
  • Had to extend one of the aos coolant hoses because of the fmic turbo outlet pipe
  • Also replaced pipe for diverted valve with silicone hose, because stock didn't work with new valve position
  • I believe the engine bay is 100% complete
Tomorrow my mechanic will be working on the re-assembly of the front end, cutting, reinforcing and welding the front bumper beam to wrap around the fmic.

I will be working on procuring the terminals for the ecu side of the avcs harness. I have thought of reaching out to iwire, and proving my input and hopefully they can produce a product that will reduce the wiring headaches I'm facing.

At the moment this is the only thing preventing the car from being started.

Clean up and install all the Guages back and setting them up.

As previously started, the album link in the first post has all the pictures, from start to finish and uo to date, i will keep updating that as the build progresses.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,418 Posts
I know this is the wrong time to ask, but do you know for a fact that when the state of NJ plugs into that JDM ecu while in that US spec 2005 XT that the state will pass the car. ?

I wonder if state inspection computer will balk at this great build. (and I live in NY,....where they also plug in,...I could probably put all that stuff in a 1995 or earlier though,...as those only get a visual inspection )

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know this is the wrong time to ask, but do you know for a fact that when the state of NJ plugs into that JDM ecu while in that US spec 2005 XT that the state will pass the car. ?

I wonder if state inspection computer will balk at this great build. (and I live in NY,....where they also plug in,...I could probably put all that stuff in a 1995 or earlier though,...as those only get a visual inspection )
Hi eagleeye

As a part of the build, the the usdm ecu is getting a minor tune in order to pass inspection. I need to finish cloning the immo, and then that process can get started.

The jdm ecu will be in the car 99%, once every other year it will be the the 1% usdm ecu will be running the inspection task.

I actually wasn't aware of the jdm limitations until l88m22vette shared his experiences.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got 2 codes haven't been able to get any research done.

Any input appreciated

Current Fault Log
------------------
P2090: B Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low bank1 c)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P2094: B Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low bank2 c)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts