Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.0XT Limited
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok car physically completed Ed at XRT got me a v0 tune, already sent the log for the next one.

I have since painted the small part or blue, strap and pipe black as well, i will take an update pic in the morning with light.

I like that it is inconspicuous.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
updated front shot with everything in black

I "found" the tow hook cap after I took the picture ;-)

forgot to add, got the car aligned on Friday morning, I already have lifetime alignment from firestone, I think I may need to go to another location.

any insight of where I should "loosen" or instruct the tech to?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anyone that hopefully point me in the right direction

according to Ed at XRT AVCS is not working within range, in the log, the angle for intake goes up to 4 and exhaust 1. Ed mentioned it is supposed to be at around 20. I have these 2 errors on the computer. I haven't really been able to find any info, any assistance appreciated.

P2090: B Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low bank1 c)
P2094: B Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low bank2 c)

I'm going to double the wiring, colors, and pins later today.

@l88m22vette @Ryan J. Geyer maybe you guys happen to come across this in your endeavors.

Thank you

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,079 Posts
@QuattroCS

Are you on the XRT chat? I haven't heard anything about your car. When I was shopping for my own motor, every place I called tried to sell me a JDM 2.0. There seems to be a lot of them around, I was worried about the "lack of plug and play" Even though it seems to be a common response the "the lack of exhaust AVCS plug on the US harness is no problem". I wonder?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
@QuattroCS

Are you on the XRT chat? I haven't heard anything about your car. When I was shopping for my own motor, every place I called tried to sell me a JDM 2.0. There seems to be a lot of them around, I was worried about the "lack of plug and play" Even though it seems to be a common response the "the lack of exhaust AVCS plug on the US harness is no problem". I wonder?
Hi @traildogck

I didn't know there was a chat. can you patch me in or point me in the right direction.

I ran the 8 wires following @l88m22vette diagram from the bulkhead to the ECU ports for the exhaust avcs.

I'm also planning on doing a detailed write-up on the minimum needs and gotchas to this build, and hopefully, a discussion with the guys at iWIRE to have an adapted kit for these chassis.

Thank you

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,510 Posts
Hello @RoughDiamond

are these the same injectors you mentioned by chance?, these came with the engine.
Nope, those are the dark blue "side feed" injectors. Only really came on the early 20X/Y engines. Later ones had the top feeds. USDM Forester XT, LGT/OBXT, and 04-06 STI also had side feed injectors (albeit, yellow).

IIRC, they are still rated at 550cc @ 3bar (even though the ECU uses a 565.00 cc value), same as the top feeds and yellow side feeds. Why the color difference? No idea.

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
312 Posts
Are you talking about the wiring diagram from like page 5? Those need to be updated but I can't edit the post, let me look at it to double-check and maybe ask an admin. When I finally got the right engine harness setup I just traced wires back from the sensors to the pins on the ECU jumper coupler. I believe the coupling wiring details are right so you should just be able to match the pins to your harness. I don't think it matters which wire is which since its a simple +/- 2-wire; if you're still getting the message just swap the pins for each sensor.

Am I way off-base?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Are you talking about the wiring diagram from like page 5? Those need to be updated but I can't edit the post, let me look at it to double-check and maybe ask an admin. When I finally got the right engine harness setup I just traced wires back from the sensors to the pins on the ECU jumper coupler. I believe the coupling wiring details are right so you should just be able to match the pins to your harness. I don't think it matters which wire is which since its a simple +/- 2-wire; if you're still getting the message just swap the pins for each sensor.

Am I way off-base?
No sir right on target

Yes the diagram on page 5, I used the 2004-2006 pdf diagram, but I may have flipped wires, so I will be printing it out and double-checking. while putting the engine in my mechanic cracked the plug or something on the driver's side exhaust, will also need to take a closer look.

I basically followed the diagram as the view from the female end of the plugs.

thank you for your input and feedback

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
312 Posts
You bet, I've meant to do a DIY for the swap but it'd end up being pretty redundant, I'd just trace each wire from the ECU through to each sensor, that sucks a plug got cracked! Glad the rant helped :LOL:

Reactions: QuattroCS

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Quick update

Ordered the 2 exhaust avcs actuators, the 2008+ sti part number should match.

Also received my 2.0 XT emblem from ebay via Russia.

And hopefully resume my tuning efforts, because of the avcs haven't gone past v0a

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got 2 codes haven't been able to get any research done.

Any input appreciated

Current Fault Log
------------------
P2090: B Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low bank1 c)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P2094: B Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low bank2 c)
QUICK UPDATE

So the Actuators on the EJ20Y are the same part number as the USDM 2008+ STI. I was able to confirm that.

The P2094 is on the driver's side, much easier and simpler to replace than the one on the passenger side, that one I had to remove the cover and the oil control valve housing.

So the quick update is that the P2094, was a damaged part issue, during the installation of the engine it cracked the plug. so the iWire harness on the brown ECU plug engine side and the soldering on the ECU side were spot on.

hoping for the same result on the P2090 passenger side, but it didn't work out that way. At least I know that it has a new part, need to now focus the troubleshooting elsewhere. going to start with a long lead from the sensor and checking ohms and continuity to the ECU harness end for each wire. This side of the engine traverses through the large ECU plug.

So 1 check engine code down, one to go.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I also had my first off-road experience in the Subaru, Went out with the Garden State Overland Group guys, to the Pine Barrens in south jersey, some sections a little tricker than others.

check out the gallery

Pine Barrens Dec 2019

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It's been a moment since the last update

Didn't yet have a chance to trace the 2nd and last cel, life has a manner of getting in the way.

I am excited and hopefully will get to it soon, i now have access to an interior warehouse space, so in a cold or snowy Sunday i hope to be able to get some more work done on the car.

Updates/upgrades wise
  • Had a torn front pass inside boot, mechanic recommended axles, i got all of them, but will get all the boots and have the original set ready and waiting.
  • The power steering pump on the jdm engine failed after a couple of weeks, possibly they use a different hydraulic fluid, my mechanic put the original one back on, all is well again
  • Had to trim some more of the intercooler piping it was pushing out the bumper
  • Installed the 1" wheel spacers, i think it looks amazing
  • Rear driver top hat failed, got a new one and it's happy again, kyb actually the failed one
  • Put the front skid plate back on
  • Ordered a diff to install the torque locker on, 90k miles, to sort of match the lesser mileage everything else
  • Rear axles will be replaced when we replace the diff
  • This is an interesting one, the end link support in the lower control arm, on the drivers side, broke off, my mechanic welded it back on, suspension is quiet again, and i didn't catch this one when i looked down there
  • This is a weird one, my pass side wheel is 0.5-0.75" further back than the drivers side. The tire rubs under braking, rubs on turning, etc. Contemplating new lower control arms on both sides. Not sure yet if this is a control arm or other related tiredness or work we have done yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hello everyone, been a while since I posted an update, here's what's new:
  • had to do a new clutch, before I used just a kit with the JDM dual mass flywheel, I burned/overheated and the forks/diaphragm stopped working, so I purchased a new kit with a solid flywheel
  • had to do a could of bearings and axles
  • and most recently, replaced all 4 wheel bearings with Moog branded, let's see how long they last.
  • along with the Falken tires and some massaging
  • while it was in did the trace to the AVCS exhaust wire on the passenger side, turned out to be broken at the solder point, after this check engine went away, almost ready for the tune to continue - I couldn't believe it @l88m22vette - very weird how it broke. I'm glad to get cruise control back, I'll tell you.
  • measured the clearance at the hitch 10" and at the side skirts 12"
  • installed CB radio and antenna
  • installed GMRS radio and antenna
  • ran wires from the front to back along pass side tunnel for:
    • subwoofer power
    • subwoofer audio
    • antenna wires for both radios
    • power for inverter
    • signal trigger switch for inverter
  • replaced front lower control arms with the aluminum set from rock auto, they also came with beefier ball joints.
other thank that getting an alignment right now
next items on the list:
  • purchased a top feel rail kit conversion
  • purchase the recommended dark blue 565cc injectors - recommended by @RoughDiamond
  • purchased the dw65c fuel pump
  • those 3 are getting installed next week, then doing the tune after this is completed
  • need to figure out lights/switches/etc.
  • also going to be building a canopy setup onto my roof rack, that will install on some Saturn branded - Thule adjustable crossbars (i believe).
  • @Ryan J. Geyer I have not forgotten, things got a little crazy with the new calendar year, then the current social situation. the ECU stuff should get all sorted out in august. i certainly appreciate the help and input.
one last thing that comes to mind that I would like some help is the remote programming, it lost it, I followed some instructions I found here but they didn't work completely, need to check FSM to see if they are listed there.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 2.5T
192 Posts
You and me both brother. I'm about to post a long overdue update on my latent project.

Let me know when you're ready, and I'll be happy to help you out!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So a few things from over the weekend 1600'ish miles trip
  • need stiffer springs in the rear to hold height added on weight, was rubbing the rear fender liner a bit
  • because of the tire oversize (1" overall radius from original), and the wheel spacer, I forgot to take into account the fender lip
    rear fenders need to be rolled
  • with a trailer, and the new radiator, with external temps above 90'ish degrees, and AC on, the temp still creeps above the "normal", happy space was 65-70mph
    with the same conditions with exterior temps in the 80'ish 75-80mph, no temp creep at all
  • otherwise, the new tires worked great rain or shine, suspension overall good,
  • even with some weight the trailer and the car handled well
  • no check engine lights (the exhaust AVCS wiring fix held) and the car behaved well
  • for some reason, I could not set cruise control over 65mph - not sure where the speed limit is if ECU or elsewhere
Overall happy with the progress and the caveats of pushing some edges of the envelope, hoping to be able to finish the fuel upgrades this week, in order to get the tune done.

in the mean-time, my father in law gave me a trailer (the one I towed home), so I am working on a few upgrades/improvements/replacements there.
  • new jack - believe it or not, the old one was welded AND bolted to the frame
  • spare tire mount (didn't have one)
  • tongue box
  • new tires/wheels with holes/spokes in order to run a chain between the wheel and the spring - current wheels have no holes/solid
  • re-wire all new lights
  • add electric brakes along with other needs - brake controller in the car (already owned), breakaway kit, the battery in tongue box, etc. - found an amazing etrailer video of one being installed in an Outback of our gen -
    - electric brakes faq from etrailer, very helpful - https://www.etrailer.com/faq-Adding-Electric-Drum-Brakes.aspx
  • it has a wood deck that has seen better days, looking for replacement/upgrade options there

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
quick development turns out whoever built the trailer my father in law gave to me, did a kick-*** job
  • 3500lb axle and suspension with electric brake brackets
  • tapered spindles and 3500 hubs
I just ordered the stuff to add the brakes
  • 7 way whip
  • breakaway controller
  • battery box and battery
  • electric brake kit
  • marine grease
excited about this leg of the project

21 - 40 of 40 Posts