Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm sorry if this has been asked (Isearched to no avail), but I'm doing some suspension work, and I see all the recommendations for Road King, Rallitech, etc springs, but my question is, can I just use the stock springs on the Gen2 KYB Excel-G struts (Read a lot and am looking to firm up the ride)?

I'm getting a used Cobb 25mm Front Sway bar and Kart Boy endlinks. Probably looking at the whiteline rear 20mm and endlinks (**** guy sold the cobb rears before I could grab them.) and replacing the front CA Bushings.

This this set up is ok? I'm trying to do some suspension upgrades without getting a second mortgage. The guy is also selling Legacy Bilstein struts with STI springs, but I don't really know if I want to lower the vehicle. And used struts seem like a way bigger risk than a sway bar.

Thanks for the help guys. I love this forum.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. That's great news.
I'll look into the reinforcement brackets. Has anyone on here had the OEM brackets fail? I read that it is a weak spot, but is it something I can live without?

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Thanks guys. That's great news.
I'll look into the reinforcement brackets. Has anyone on here had the OEM brackets fail? I read that it is a weak spot, but is it something I can live without?
They are not going to fail with a stack sway bar. Where they fail is when aftermarket bars are added. The broken bar mount in the links is a WL 20mm. When the colars are used (and they are necessary with the WL) is is even worse.

If you are pushing a street car (poor streets constantly), or you have lots of dirt roads...OR Off-Roading with a bigger bar. These are your failure scenarios. I can say that is why I developed light duty which still flex for dirt and off-roading applications. I aslo like the way it stiffens the mounts even with a stock bar. Cherry gas coilovers but my sway bars are stock. I run a HD aluminum set on Cherry .

My design ensures the rear subframe and the flexible brakets themselves function as designed by Subaru engineers.

My hyjack is complete...

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
They are not going to fail with a stack sway bar. Where they fail is when aftermarket bars are added. The broken bar mount in the links is a WL 20mm. When the colars are used (and they are necessary with the WL) is is even worse.

If you are pushing a street car (poor streets constantly), or you have lots of dirt roads...OR Off-Roading with a bigger bar. These are your failure scenarios. I can say that is why I developed light duty which still flex for dirt and off-roading applications. I aslo like the way it stiffens the mounts even with a stock bar. Cherry gas coilovers but my sway bars are stock. I run a HD aluminum set on Cherry .

My design ensures the rear subframe and the flexible brakets themselves function as designed by Subaru engineers.

My hyjack is complete...
OK That's great. That looks like a custom setup? Maybe I'll enlist my machinist brother to make me a bracket and save some money.

Another question. The front sway bar I'm getting came off of an 06 Legacy GT. There won't be any fitment issues on the 05 OBXT right?

Whoops, that's your ebay page. can they be shipped to CANADA? They didn't open in ebay.ca when i clicked the link. Wasn't trying to insult you with the save money thing there, I honestly didn't know.

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd

My hyjack is complete...
I was just looking in the classified here, and I don't see that you were out to knock those out "made to order" for people to buy.

(maybe a few people on here and on places like LGT.com would be interested,...vs. "trying" to get "someone" to copy what you already did successfully edit: someone that may not know or love 2005-2009 subarus).

= made to order, or like one extra set in stock to ship, similar to the ADF lift guy.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
OK That's great. That looks like a custom setup? Maybe I'll enlist my machinist brother to make me a bracket and save some money.

Another question. The front sway bar I'm getting came off of an 06 Legacy GT. There won't be any fitment issues on the 05 OBXT right?

Whoops, that's your ebay page. can they be shipped to CANADA? They didn't open in ebay.ca when i clicked the link. Wasn't trying to insult you with the save money thing there, I honestly didn't know.
No insult taken...patent law and patents are ridiculously expensive. First to market is really the key. Believe me, I know. I have more than 1/2 a dozen chassis products for our cars. I have released only 2 to the public so far...But patent pending isn't going to happen on any of them.

You buddy can take his best shot for $75 worth of metal, skill and effort. I am losing $ 3x over on these with my effort hours and R&D. I have sold a grand total of (4) in 2 years. (1) set is a combination HD in both AL and ST with one hardware set. Which means I have brackets on 2 continents.

The custom hardware, the thread stainless 3/32" backing plate. The plate is the key to my design. It utilizes the OEM triangular structure which is already there. No secrete here. Go pirate if you want. The satisfaction is the good idea and the function...

But I will gladly take $75 for the trouble of figuring it all out....

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
I was just looking in the classified here, and I don't see that you were out to knock those out "made to order" for people to buy.
My whole listing is going to get re-written. New language, new PDF...

I implied to contact me about custom orders...right now, nobody cares...I have many irons to work...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts