Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Auto Forester I am thinking of trading in for a OBXT 5 speed. I drove it today and it is really hard to shift from 2nd-3-4-5 and down, I really have to push hard to shift. My S-10 was never this hard. I noticed the diff fluid was just reading on the dip stick ( very low) . I am also hearing a whining noise when I am driving along with a ticking noise. The tick is not from the engine, Its only when I am slowing down, or speeding up, never constant, just here and there. Is this a major issue or will Redline fluid help this? No I do not hear ticking noise when I turn, only going straight. Thanks all for the help, if this is minor, then I will have the car soon, if not, the forester it is for a while. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
I've read that the MT doesn't do well underfilled. Supposedly it can tolerate a little overfill condition.

Did the fluid look new? Could be the seller did a fluid change and put something cheap in there. The Soob MTs can be picky about fluids. There's a huge thread about different fluids and 'cocktails' of various gear oils to try to make shifting smoother. The problem is, finding a way to lubricate the differential and the transmission with the same fluid. Often, what may be good for one, is detrimental to the other. The book just mentions GL-5 I think, but folks still have problems with the synchros and/or diff whine. Subaru has a gear oil - Extra-S - that works well for many people. Look for the 'scotty's cocktail' thread at nasioc for WAAAAY more info on MT gear oil.

I don't think anyone could assure you this ISN'T a major issue. It's a risk. How long has the tranny been underfilled and what lube is in it?????

If this is from a dealer lot, maybe take the salesman for ride, point out your concerns, and get a powertrain warranty thrown in on the sale?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The fluid looks new, and the dealer said he has driven it a while with the whine, and shifting hard. I have heard Redline does the trick, but I am not sure. How long its been like that? no clue, I just don't want to get it, and have it be a problem down the road.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
I have a fill of Redline LW Shockproof in my WRX right now. It's OK - in fact, if I DON"T shift 2-3 quickly, I get some kick-back. But, I can't say it's better than Extra-S or anything else. The old oil was - well - OLD. and maybe ANY new gear oil would have improved the shifting. It wasn't horrible before, just difficult going into first really. maybe slightly less whine now than before, not sure.

Next spring I may use a mix of 2 qts Extra-S, 1 Qt. HW Shockproof, and rest made up with Hypoy-C.

Would the dealer swap the oil out for Extra_s and fill it properly? Throw in a 1 year or even a 6 month powertrain warranty?

The world is full of used cars - don't risk something you can't afford.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Not sure what they are going to fill it with. I was going to call today and see. If they fill it with regular, i'll drive it for a while then get the better stuff. If filling it helps. I want to drive it again, or another and see the difference and go from there. Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
05OXT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing