Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the past two start ups with both the engine and weather cold, i hear a brief screeching/scraping noise when the engine fires up...for about one second max. i'm due to change the oil this weekend (slightly overdue: at about 4,000 miles right now) and my oil level is slightly low, but nothing crazy low.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a couple people on my facebook subaru club say that it could be an issue with the starter solenoid not releasing quick enough in cold weather. does this ring a bell for anyone?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was going to say that the power steering pumps can squeal when cold for a brief time (all makes ). Then I noticed your in Florida, your idea of cold and mine are two very different things! LOL.

·
Registered
16,963 Posts
noticed that on my WRX for the first time this year - only when it's <25degs or so.

scraping or sliding - type of sound. very brief just at the end of the starting cycle.

if the solenoid IS sticking, it's unlike the sound I've heard in the past on other cars.

I DID recently replace my acc drive belts. I may re-check the tension on them, but this is NOT squealing.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
My XT has done the same exactly once. It was a cold morning and the car had been sitting for 2 weeks. I'm positive it was the starter solenoid.

I chose not to do anything, knowing that the battery is likely to be replaced before summer anyway, and the starter may do better all around with more amps behind it.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
It will eventually wreck the starter and the starter ring gear. I don't know if the ring gear is separate or part of a compound flywheel on this car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just replaced the battery a couple months ago. i'm fine with trashing a starter, but not a flywheel. i've been asking/searching around regarding how easy it is to replace yourself and haven't gotten much. apparently you have to go from the top and remove the TMIC? anyone ever replaced one?

@benamin: i grew up in MI, so i have plenty of experience with temps below zero. there's a reason i live in FL now. ha! i will say that my blood has thinned over the years, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I posted this in another thread and didn't feel like re-writing it but I hope it helps.

About 2 months ago I started also hearing a strange and somewhat loud "sqeeeeesh" sound that lasted for about half a second on start up. To me it sounded like a huge vacuum leak (which it couldn't be because it doesn't last) or a lose belt type of squeal (but that would last longer than a split second).

I just finished digging around and found this:

Screeching sound | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That is the same exact noise that I am hearing on my 3.0R. I read through this Legacy GT thread and it would seem that it is most likely the starter. On a warmer day when I'm feelin' frisky I will probably remove the starter and regrease it with help from this:

DIY: Starter remove, repair, install. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

It could still be the belt and I'll give it a quick cinch up but I'm betting it's the starter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
Soledad
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing