Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
05 OBXT Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was driving home from work one day in my 05 Outback XT, when my car starting making this somewhat alarming grinding noise. Perhaps the best way to describe it is it sounds like something that should be spinning but isn't, or something that should not be spinning is.

I limped it home being very easy on the gas. I popped the hood and determined the sound was coming from my turbo. After some research I determined my turbo bearings are going. I removed the intercooler and inspected the intake and outtake for metal shaving/pieces and found none. I feel fairly confident that I stopped driving it before the turbo spewed chunks into the engine and I'm looking at a fairly straight-forward turbo swap. I'm keen on reliability and ease of replacement and not interested in increased performance.

After some more research on turbos, I believe that I have the IHI VF40. Is there an easy way to tell? I couldn't find a part# on the turbo itself.

I'm thinking, based on this page
IHI VF40 and VF46 turbo comparison PRE Tuning - Site , that I should get the IHI VF46. It appears to be the factory replacement for the VF40 albeit with design improvements to fix the issues that the VF40 had. As a side note, I'm planning on removing the filter screen in the banjo/union bolt when I do the swap.

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have good resources,advice, suggestions so that I can look into this more?

Over All I'm a happy XT Owner
Th
Brian

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I suggest researching over at legacygt.com They have a lot more turbo specific information. Same engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts