Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
So the other day In the cold I tried closing the door and it bounced open and it wouldn’t latch. Eventually it closed and then it locked and hasn’t been open since.
ive read the threads and haven’t found any solutions that work yet. So I’m hoping maybe some one has some insight. As it is such a pain in the ass getting in and out of the passenger door.

okay so I have the door panel peeled back and I have access to both rods leading down to the latch aswell as not the “bicycle cables” to the inside door handle.When I try and push the lock cable to unlock the door it won’t budge. The rod that leads to the cylinder lock moves but doesn’t seem to be initiating the lock mechanism down in the latch.
This is the first Subaru issue I’ve ever had that has me stumped this hard! All I want is to get that **** door open.
Thanks guys, fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,599 Posts
This has happened before. The poster never replied back, so don't know what the outcome was.

I think you may have something in the door sill that has the door jammed up. Given it was difficult to close, then it shut. If this is the case there's added pressure on the latch assembly where it meets the bar and it can't unlock.

Try pushing in on the door while u locking it with the key or fob. Assuming the fob opens the other doors of course.

There's no way that I know of to get the latch off the door with the door closed. Getting the door open if something in the latch is broken is a whole other ball game requiring body panel removal.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
701 Posts
Elihusman,

Here's a free 2005 subie factory service manual to download. Just click on the link for the service manual:
Index of /Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/2005
Then search the body section of the manual for the front doors and interior trim panels on how to remove them.

That and these two videos will show you how to go about the job for your situation (the first one on a Ford Focus) and the second one details taking the door panel apart and removing the door latch assembly on a 2003 - 2008 OutBack specifically from a front door.

Take your time and don't break anything.

Armed with this you should be able to tackle the job yourself, and if parts are needed .. get them from a wrecking yard. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
after a lot of tinkering I noticed that the thicker rod that is connected to the outer handle (not the lock rod) was being jammed up and not returning to its original spot after the handle was pulled, some how this was not allowing the lock to work and keeping it shut.
So I ripped the door panel off as much as I could with the door shut. Pushed that leaver and rod up and back to its original position which freed up the lock and allowed me to push the lock cable in, which finally unlocked it.
so I lubed the **** out of the pivot point on the inside of the handle. This allowed the rod to return back to its position after the handle was release, and no longer jammed up the locks.
Very simple fix but it’s a real pain trying to diagnose the problem when you can only look down the gap between the door panel and door frame all while fiddling around with 14 inch pliers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts