Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Outback Legacy that is experincing a severe right rear whell hop at low to mid acceleration. The dealership is telling me that to much power is being put to the hopping wheel and that a new computer program will fix the issue. I've taken it back twice now with no fix. Has anyone else had this issue? It started at 3K miles and now I have 5K miles. I think the car is taking a beating from the issue and cannot be safe on slick roads.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Hi there welcoem to the board!

John is right, there is definitely something that isn't right, and I don't see how it could be the program since we haven't heard of anyone else with this problem.

If your dealer can't fix it, go see another one! Many Subaru dealers are useless...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More Info on the wheel hop

My first thought was broken shock mount or bad shock. I have performed the bumper check and it passed. The representative Jim Bible or somone says his demo is doing the same thing and there is supposed to be a letter that I got a sneek peek of last week going out to the dealers then to the consumer. My dealership tells me the fix noted in the letter will fix the issue, however the letter only talks about the H6/Auto Trany combo not automatically shifting when the rpm redlines in sport shift. I don't think it won't get fixed, but I'm worried about all the other damage and rattles it's causing or will prematurley caused. I find it interesting that Suabaru didn't include the problem I am having in the letter that is supposed to fix the issue. It just looks like they don't want to admit there maybe future issues. Very aggrevating, but I'm making the document trail so they can buy it back if necessary.

I'm with you guys on no one else posting anything. I have searched high and low and found nothing. That's very hard for me to believe since they are telling me it's happening or going to happen to all H6/Autos. I'll keep on them and keep it posted.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
BRDVPA you should try jacking the offending wheel up and then checking for freeplay by wriggling the wheel strongly by hand, vertcally and horizontally. There should be no freeplay. I had a new Mazda once that came from the factory with a faulty from strut unit which exhibited a similar problem.

Cheers,
Karl

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Just a wild guess, does your car have any version of stability control? Maybe something is incorrectly causing the brake to activate on that wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's fixed

Hey All,
Just wanted to post that after the "Rep" drove the car they figured out it wasn't a computer program issue. They replaced the driveshaft and everything seems to be working fine. When asked again, didn't you check the driveshaft? The answer was yes we did. That makes you feel real good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing