Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Im new to the outback, just got my new love, and was wondering your guys advice on performance mods that you think are worth it.
I have just the straight 2.5 h4 engine.
The only things I've done to my outback are tint all the windows and add a sound system. now I'm wondering what else there is to do.
Has anyone lowered their outbacks? I want to lower it, it just looks too high. but i dont want to slam it. Any advice?
Also any advice on performance parts for the 2.5 engine?
Im new to modding and all this stuff, so thanks for the patience and advice!
Cheers!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat as you...
You sound younger than the average person on this website. I'm probably younger than the average person here, too. It's interesting to see how these used Gen 3 outbacks are going to look in the hands of people who have not been known, traditionally, to own this vehicle.

If you look at the Gen 2 outbacks, you'll get a pretty good idea for mods. I myself actually like the ground clearance, but I threw on some ASA wheels to make the car stand out. Wheel size on the ASA's is exactly the same as the 06-09's... 225/55r17. I did this because I live in Boston where the potholes are a plenty, but I would have considered putting on a set of 18" concave wheels from Rota. Price is good, and the wheels look like they're made well for the price.

Back on the subject of suspension, I think you'd like a set of Legacy GT springs. They should bolt right in... search and you'll find whether you need to swap out the struts and top hats, too.

Future engine mods that I'm considering at the moment are a supercharger and unequal length headers. I've only had this car for 2 weeks and getting her up to original spec has taken some effort in that time: Non-functioning power door locks, fluid changes, accessory belts, etc. It all takes time but I'm almost done with the boring stuff and will soon move onto more exciting wrench work.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Of course it's high, it's an Outback!

If you're interested in lowering it, you're probably headed in a different direction than I was. All my mods are listed in my signature. Most are off-road oriented (skid plates, King Springs which give it about an inch lift, etc.). I did swap out most of the sound system in mine as well. I put in a new head unit, replaced the rear 6x9 driver with something a little beefier, and put in an 8" sub under the passenger's seat. The door speakers are still stock, and that probably won't change. I think they're pretty decent, actually.

Mine will probably stay in this state for a while other than that I want to put Geolandar A/T-S tires on it for next spring.

Looks mostly stock (other than lights), but you can see the slight height increase as well:

·
Registered
167 Posts
My top three performance mods:
1. Lighter wheels
2. Bigger rear sway bar
3. Group N engine and transmission mounts

Wheels and stiffer mounts will improve stop and go related performance. Wheels and sways will drastically improve handling, especially cornering! As you can see wheels are my #1 because they help improve both areas.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think my wish list just grew...it was what JP has but now I definitely started thinking about what squat said...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
OUTBAMF
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing