Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my outback don't get me wrong but the thing that really lacks is the brakes I am looking for something relatively affordable but more than anything I just want something that is going to work and do better than my stock brakes well still being solid and reliable. Any body have any ideas and experiance doing brake swaps I know I could run sti steering knuckles and then do the sti brake swap but looking for other options kind of want to go out of the box a little bit. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
If you want shorter stops, get stickier tires.

If you want better pedal feel, get the grimmspeed master cylinder brace.

If your brakes are fading after a lot of aggressive stops, swap to a same-year Legacy GT rotor, caliper & pads. Direct bolt-up.

If you want to say you did it all and you have the best-stopping Outback on earth, do all 3 and look into handling upgrades- that will help keep the tire on the surface for best braking.

I put wilwood superlites over Legacy GT rotors for mine. No clue if the guy who did the mount plate is still doing them.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
I think the bigger OEM brake option was on 2008-2009 LGT, (and or spec B). just have to loose any aspirations of putting 16" rims on your 2005, as those later LGT sized calipers are just too big.

or look into Cadillac calipers (I don't think the Cadilac ATS brake rotor will bolt up, but more about that from other people).:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/343130-want-brembos-without-spending-2k-bolt-some-cadillac-ats-calipers.html

and some more on the LGT.com board about caddy brakes:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cadillac-ats-brembo-caliper-upgrade-your-subaru-251912.html?t=251912&highlight=cadillac+ats+brakes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas

Yeah looking into it, makes sense to go for those upgrades because I really do want my outback to stop harder. Any recommendations on performance tires for when summer time rolls back around?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Are you sure you are on stock brakes? Cheap parts store stuff s*cks.

Subaru rotors are very good. Don't get me wrong, I have a full sport set up from EBC, MCB (rasterman mentioned) and braided lines on one car. All I did was slap my OEM rotor and good pads on the car and it stops as good as the other. Just a little different pedal feel.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Yeah looking into it, makes sense to go for those upgrades because I really do want my outback to stop harder. Any recommendations on performance tires for when summer time rolls back around?
I've had great results with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I've had great results with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
I would like to try these.

I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are really sticky on pavement and the wet traction is exceptional. The sidewalls are a little squirmy in the 55 section, but they are very quiet and are much better on road seams and potholes than other tires I have had. I doubt many would feel the sidewall squirm. I am being very critical of a high performance AS tire.

They do very well at low temps also, but once there is an 1" they are not a snow tire. IMPO. I have studs for winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts