Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the 2005 Toyota Tacoma. What does everyone think? Now that my girlfriend is considering a new Legacy or Outback next year, I may get back into a pickup as I often miss my old taco. It's rumored that Toyota is going to offer a six speed with the 4.0 v6. Opinions?

Attachments

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I'm still partial to the Nissan Frontier or the new Titan. My parents have had excellent luck with their Frontier. I'm personally not fond of the design of Toyota's pickups, especially since the T-100. Wow, that was ugly. Brian

·
Administrator
4,271 Posts
Wow that looks great! A nice improvement over the 2004> models. I am actually one of the original members of TundraSolutions.com and have a soft sport for Toyota trucks. The Taco is the sh1t when it comes to compact trucks, if anyone wants to argue that with me you better bring some big guns and lots of ammo! ;) I still visit TS every once in a while, I like to speard Outback and general Subaru propaganda wherever I can whenever it is needed :22: A six-speed? Huh, sounds kinda odd for Toyota to do... truck drivers usually don't like rowing gears all day. Ah we'll have to wait and see...

Although I do love the Tundra, I'll have to agree with Brian (damnit!) and say that the Titan is now the king of the 1/2 tons.

·
Administrator
4,271 Posts
Rivalred said:
Just to let ya know, all the 4x4 Taco's are going go be assembled in Mexico now.
WHAT!?! :bsflag:

No... it can't be! I car company that I respect and like now builds one of my favorite vehicles in Mexico. Damnit Toyota and things were going so well with their U.S. factories, why the move? I guess since now that they're in the big dog league in American they have to follow the trend :rolleyes:

IJ I'd say to get a Tundra, a REAL American built truck made in Indiana like our Subarus ;)

And if not a Big Tun you could go with the ultra-ballsy Nissan Titan :29:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rivalred said:
Just to let ya know, all the 4x4 Taco's are going go be assembled in Mexico now.
I wouldn't say all...

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/manufacturing/2002/09/20-1-mexico.html

Toyota Motor Manufacturing de Baja California (TMMBC) will have the capacity to build approximately 20,000 Tacoma pickup trucks annually. In addition, the plant will have the capacity to make approximately 170,000 Tacoma truck beds to be used at TMMBC and New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI) -- a joint venture plant in Fremont, California, co-owned by Toyota and General Motors.

·
Registered
297 Posts
NICE RIDE!
I used to have a '90 SR-5 extended cab (before they were called Tacomas) and it was a great truck. Sold it to get a Ford Explorer (dumb, dumb) for a better road trip vehicle. My brother loves Toyota pickups, but had to sell his so his wife could get a 3/4 ton 4x4 to pull horse trailers....had a Ford super-duty(super doodie more like it) and now has a Dodge Ram quad cab.

I'll email him the photo's to make him drool!

·
Registered
73 Posts
injektilo said:

I wouldn't say all...

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/manufacturing/2002/09/20-1-mexico.html

Toyota Motor Manufacturing de Baja California (TMMBC) will have the capacity to build approximately 20,000 Tacoma pickup trucks annually. In addition, the plant will have the capacity to make approximately 170,000 Tacoma truck beds to be used at TMMBC and New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI) -- a joint venture plant in Fremont, California, co-owned by Toyota and General Motors.
I read somewhere all the 4x4's were going to be assembled there.

·
Administrator
4,271 Posts
jobe1492 said:
anyone interested in the x runner?
Actually I just saw a brand new X-Runner in my lot at work today. It was bright red just like the one pictured above with some sweet looking 17" wheels (I think they're 17's). **** it looked nice, if I was going to get a 2WD pickup, it would definately be the one for sure ;)

·
Administrator
4,271 Posts
dante said:
I don't care what anyone says or what any Honda boy trys to convince me of, that Honda "Truck" will be a joke and a total flop. First off Honda has never built an actual truck by American standards, ya know a truck with a frame and a transfer case, etc. The article said the "Truck" will have AWD, no 4WD... no truck! Plus it will have the same V-6 that is used in the Pilot and MDX which is rated at 255HP/252TQ, thats a pretty weak engine to be putting into a full size truck IMO :rolleyes:

As many of you know I'm not the biggest Honda fan around, nonetheless I still think they should stay where their better acquainted as far as building vehicles ;) I find it blasphemous that they say that they've been building light trucks for years... they claim that the Pilot and CR-V are light trucks. Uh huh, right... they are just tall, raised, pseudo AWD versions of the Civic and Oddessey :rolleyes:

Ugh, when will this facade end? :headshake

·
Registered
107 Posts
It looks O.K. But for me...My truck will always be American (Ford, GMC, Dodge). I beat the crap out of them and they need to take it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nedro--

interesting viewpoint in light of yr earlier comments abt everything being a POS to a mech. i will admit trucks are the one area where american vehicles don't seem to be much worse than rest of the world, but why do you feel that one of those will stand up to abuse better than a Toy? everyone else's experience, mine included, seems to be to the contrary. this is not a facetious Q, i'm actually interested to get yr input.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an 81 F-150 L6 that has close to 700,000 miles. Sure I've replaced the engine, put in a rock crusher trans and upgraded the clutch to 11" instead of the original 10", and put some front springs, overload leafs and shocks. But that's it. It has been a construction truck its whole life (brother was original owner). This 1/2 ton truck has hauled 2 tons (full bed and over loaded wood rack) way more times than I could remember to the point that you think you see the frame bending. The body is banged up but still solid. It has never left me stranded even though I used to take it up to Tahoe (friend used to own cabins up there) on five cylinders, smoke billowing out the back, before I finally broke down and got a fresh eng. I must have done that five or six times. I even remember once going up there with my cousin. We were going up a grade on 680 (I'd have to get into the right lane up any decent hill because the bad cylinder would pull too much power from the engine. I could maintain about 35 or 40MPH up any grade but that was about it) and spotted I sign on the side of the road and started busting up. I pointed at the sign and told him, "WE ARE SLOW TRUCK IN RIGHT LANE". We were laughing about that all the way up to Tahoe. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Point is, ain't no import gonna take half the abuse that old F-150 has seen. (Southern drawl turned off)

I just reread my post and it sounds like B.S. I assure you it's not.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
hard to argue with those results. i see trucks like that every day here....in Mexico, they have the ability (born of necessity) to keep things running way past when they should have been allowed to die with dignity. i regularly see pickups loaded 10-12' high. scary sight in the rear view.....:eek:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
19 Participants
Se2002
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing