Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Outback Premium w/CVT
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again.

Had our '05 Outback Wagon in the alignment shop as the steering wheel was tilted to the left about 2 degrees. They brought me the first print out and showed everything was well within range almost in the middle of all the specs. I said ok but wanted the steering wheel "T" straight. The said ok and now the final readout has the LF=.07* and RF=.08* with total toe of .16* seems odd when the FSM shows: Toe angle (sum of both wheels): 0°±0°15'. Yes the steering wheel "T" is straight now but now it seems like the toe is off.

Am i reading this wrong? I know a few of you are experts on this.

Thanks fellas.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
I don't believe they did a 4 wheel alignment. If they did, you should have front and rear wheel specs.

If the total toe for front and rear wheels are not "0", you will get vibration like a wheel is out of balance and it will steer odd. The wheels are fighting each other. To get total toe at "0", all four wheels need to be set to "0.0". Any more than ".02" total is too much and you will feel it.

When your steering wheel is "cocked" to one side from 12 o'clock but the car seems to track straight, that indicates that the rear wheels are steering in the direction of the steering wheel angle and needs to be adjusted. Steering wheel left, the rear wheels are steering left, and vice versa. A low tire at any corner will cause the axle it is on to pull to its side. Even the rear wheels. So tire pressures need to be the same.

I would be willing to bet that they toed the front wheels in to force the straight line of the steering wheel which means the rear wheels are dragging sideways. I've seen many cars, not just Subies, where a tech has done this. They may have done this out of ignorance or they had an issue with the rear toe adjustment due to seized bolts and didn't bring this to your attention and just toed the front wheels in to compensate the steering wheel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me correct a few things from my original post. The total toe .16* was for the front and the total rear toe was -.02* (which I like set since adding cargo weight makes the reading .00.

So i think I figured that the FSM saying front toe of 0+/0 15' means that .16 degrees is within spec? Math wizes agree??

·
Registered
18,045 Posts
. . . the FSM saying front toe of 0+/0 15' means that .16 degrees is within spec? Math wizes agree??
Yes.

15' (i.e., 15 "minutes") is 0.25 degrees. (60 minutes in a degree, so 15/60).

If the report for the final total toe angle is 0.16 "degrees", then it's only 9.6 minutes, which is within the spec.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks plain OM just wanted to check my math accuracy!

So my left front is .07 and right front .08 and from research it seems that these cars should be darn near .00 on the toe. Should I have them adjust it some more or is this amount very insignificant to try and mess with to avoid tire wear?

·
Registered
18,045 Posts
I believe it's probably insignificant, in part, because the front tires do tend to move forward slightly when powered (due to the "give" in the rubber bushings), and that causes the small negative toe to be reduced somewhat. However, front toe is relatively easy to adjust, so it should be possible to bring the readings pretty well to the 00 mark.

Edit: See post #9 below for correction. The first statement above does not apply.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[QUOTEI believe it's probably insignificant, in part, because the front tires do tend to move forward slightly when powered (due to the "give" in the rubber bushings), and that causes the small negative toe to be reduced somewhat. QUOTE]

Did you mean positive toe? both numbers are +.07 and +.08 (LF, RF). So would there be too much toe-in when powered then?

·
Registered
18,045 Posts
[QUOTEI believe it's probably insignificant, in part, because the front tires do tend to move forward slightly when powered (due to the "give" in the rubber bushings), and that causes the small negative toe to be reduced somewhat. QUOTE]

Did you mean positive toe? both numbers are +.07 and +.08 (LF, RF). So would there be too much toe-in when powered then?
You're absolutely right -- total blank-out on my part. Somehow I was thinking negative toe.

Will annotate earlier post. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts