Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2.5 XT Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Subaru outback 2.5XT. I have been told this is the problem child turbo. I bought the car with 130,000 miles and have put 70,000 on myself. I'm rolling up to 200,000 in the next little bit.

Most recently, I have had a strange problem develop. Twice in the last few weeks I have had the flashing check engine light come on. Both times have been on the highway. Both times have been very hot days. As I was looking for a place to pull over on the side of the road with enough shoulder, the light went off. I babied her and drove her a little below the speed limit all the way to my destination each time. We made it, but I just don't know how to check what this error is since the light goes off each time.

30,000 miles ago I had the entire radiator system replaced, so it's not that. I hope! I have checked fluids. Presently I run through about a quart of oil every thousand miles and nobody around here to work on this car to replace the leaking from main.

Any ideas what could cause this check engine light to come on and go away?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
flashing check engine is a misfire.

lots of things can make those, old plugs, old dirty sensors, good news it can be a inexpensive fix.

bad news, sometimes the codes don't store so you have to grab them when they are happening.

there is a on board diagnostic code reader in that car, somewhere late in this thread is how to get it to work in a 2005, (which is different then the later ones).

it maybe a start,...or you will need a hand held code reader or phone app to grab it while its happening. (and I have had to do that in a few vehicles).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...9-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,048 Posts

·
Registered
2.5 XT Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! So I shouldn't take her off the road anytime soon? I was just worried I was driving her into the ground! She's lost some pep. And around the times that that happens my miles per gallon goes way down. Bad gas maybe?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,048 Posts
Thanks for the info! So I shouldn't take her off the road anytime soon? I was just worried I was driving her into the ground! She's lost some pep. And around the times that that happens my miles per gallon goes way down. Bad gas maybe?
no need to toss her out yet,

check engine lights denote problems, typically the engine is lugging down for one reason or another under these problems and you loose some pep. (and the misfires are actually the engine failing to run as opposed to pulling the car down the road.

...in your case with a XT think of a thoroughbred having a short sneezing fit while running at full gallop)

and also such conditions may force the engine to burn more gas,...= ECU typically force flushes a little more gas trying to clear its own problem in a short term.

but, once the codes are read the suggestions on how to proceed start.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
Flashing light means severe misfire.

Bad gas can do it- that car should be on a strict diet of 91+ octane, with emphasis on the +.

High temperatures don't help, but obviously you drive where & when you drive.

Over time & miles these engines can burn and erode their exhaust valve seats. This will eventually cause a persistent misfire. Generally one cylinder fails, and it's often #4 that fails first. A compression test can verify this, and if the results show lost compression then a leakdown test is a good follow-on to work out whether it really is a burnt valve or a different problem.

And if it does go that way, an ordinary valve job is the cure.

In a turbocharged engine, enriching the fuel mixture is the quick-fix for several different problems. The computer has the authority & ability to do that very easily so reduced MPG will be seen as a common response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts