Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2005 outback ltd with 290k miles. the car is immaculate, amazingly, but the engine was toast! i bought it used and dead from a guy who didn't understand the need for oil. So last fall i went looking for a replacement engine and could only find reasonably priced engines advertized by many dealers as low mileage Japanese discards, so i bought this EJ20 and proceeded to make the exchange. the engines were virtually identical with some few major differences that were taken care of by using the 2.5 parts, with the exception of the variable exhaust cams. since the car wasn't wired to include them i changed out the drivers with the 2.5 fixed drivers and went ahead and buttoned it all up.
on startup the engine started fine and accelerated easily but it all went downhill from there. at each progressive startup the engine accelerated less until it would no long accelerate at all and then ran slower and slower like it was getting no gas. i took the exhaust loose to bypass the cats, took the intake loose to bypass the innercooler, checked the fuel pressure (without a gauge) which seem quite high. (i couldnt hold my finger over it) nothing has affected this issue. lastly i changed out the injectors to the ej20 injectors and the engine wouldnt even start. So what am i missing? the crank position senders were identical. i coundnt access the Cam position sensor senders. but it doesnt act like a timing issue, it acts like its either got an exhaust plug or a fuel issue.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
moved to 2005-09 land.

where all the XT threads are here.
@RoughDiamond did one of these swaps. (possibly fully documented somewhere).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i also need to add that there arent any codes yet, at least no check engine light.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
You haven't mentioned the ECU. Did you get and install the proper ECU for that engine?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
Do you have any way to log data from the engine, such as a Tactrix or a VAG-COM cable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i may, i,'ve got auto engenuity. i need to check and see if i have the complete diagnostic program

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
negative, im using the 2.5 ecu. awa the 2.5 harness
Dude. You're running an EJ20 on a USDM EJ255 ECU with a stock tune? Stop that before you damage your new-to-you engine. Assuming you haven't yet. Bet if you pull a learning view right now you'll see some crazy nastiness.

I THINK that ECU can be tuned to run that engine properly. Contact a qualified tuner before putting a key in that ignition again.

Shameless plug: Engine Calibration and Tuning - Home

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, like thats gonna happen, im in the middle of nowhere where the train doesnt stop. but you just may be right about that tune being jacked, makes more sense.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
yeah, like thats gonna happen, im in the middle of nowhere where the train doesnt stop. but you just may be right about that tune being jacked, makes more sense.
with a windows laptop, free romraider, and a tractrix the tuners can and do come to you across the internet.

(tactrix is important...lesser things stop mid flow and screw up bad,....a good working laptop would help too).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seriously? i gotta get in the 21st century, man it never occurred to me that i could do it over the internet, i hope my connection is good enough.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
seriously? i gotta get in the 21st century, man it never occurred to me that i could do it over the internet, i hope my connection is good enough.
serious,

and don't you think everyone on here would think,
the Martian would have been a better movie, if while matt damon were waiting for the shitt potatoes to grow,
if he had a ticket magnet red 2005 outback wagon there with a dead EJ255 in it, and a EJ20?T project going, and a tactrix?

he could use @traildogck's threads to get started with online tuning,...and custom tuning for the martian atmosphere (or lack thereof)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/182362-homage-tactrix.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...184122-reading-flashing-your-ecu-dummies.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-guides/184170-romraider-logging-dummies.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/97977-romraider-what-data-log.html

but instead of a subaru he had this boring thing, that gets stuck without symmetrical AWD:

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
S*x man. I wish both Frankie and Cherry had a throttle cable. But they are DBW ... freaky sh*t.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Interesting. From the sounds of it, you've used an EJ20X/Y to replace the EJ255. The 20X/Y has dual AVCS, plastic intake, square intercooler, etc.

My first thought was that like @relative4 :What engine management are you running? Using the EJ255 tune on the 20X/Y is not a good idea.

To start from the basics: Which intake and turbo setup are you using? The original engine's or the donor's?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
do you have a link from the JDM sales place, or the tags that show what EJ20 it is? (EJ20?)

(and those places can and do screw up and ship the wrong things sometimes,...so its a EJ20 with a extra character after it,
and maybe a description of what it came out of).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, the donor engine is a EJ20X and i used the turbo, throttle body and exhaust manifold off the ej25. ie, i changed out everything that wouldn't adapt to the cars components. including the wiring harness. i have since checked part numbers on the various sensors and need to change out the cam posiition, knock and throttle position sensors which need to be the original sensors. i also had to rebuild the turbo because the original was shot.

yes, Eagleeye, im laughing through the tears. im going to make these sensor changes and test them but the tech is going to have to wait until i get another financial shot in the arm. all of you are awesome!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
ok, the donor engine is a EJ20X and i used the turbo, throttle body and exhaust manifold off the ej25. ie, i changed out everything that wouldn't adapt to the cars components. including the wiring harness. i have since checked part numbers on the various sensors and need to change out the cam posiition, knock and throttle position sensors which need to be the original sensors. i also had to rebuild the turbo because the original was shot.

yes, Eagleeye, im laughing through the tears. im going to make these sensor changes and test them but the tech is going to have to wait until i get another financial shot in the arm. all of you are awesome!
start some potatoes while you round up some more project money.

what is the turbo you are using by part # and brand.?

·
Registered
10 Posts
#If Only Ida

serious,

and don't you think everyone on here would think,
the Martian would have been a better movie, if while matt damon were waiting for the shitt potatoes to grow,
if he had a ticket magnet red 2005 outback wagon there with a dead EJ255 in it, and a EJ20?T project going, and a tactrix?

he could use @traildogck's threads to get started with online tuning,...and custom tuning for the martian atmosphere (or lack thereof)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/182362-homage-tactrix.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...184122-reading-flashing-your-ecu-dummies.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-guides/184170-romraider-logging-dummies.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/97977-romraider-what-data-log.html

but instead of a subaru he had this boring thing, that gets stuck without symmetrical AWD:
Thank God i have the silver one! Traildogck it is! gotta get the tech first.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts

You should not have to change the sensors if they plugged into the 255 harness. The 255 uses 3-wire cam sensors. The 20X should have 3-wire cam sensors (some places have seen 2-wire?) if the harness plugged in.

Have you confirmed the turbo is still loose/spinning? I would also pull the banjo filters for the AVCS and turbo feed lines.

It sounds like you have the correct hardware, but the ECU is probably playing games with you, trying to adjust to the loss of the other 0.5L. This should be reflected as a negative LTFT and adjusted timing tables.

Edit: Are the fuel lines to the intake hooked-up correctly? The strut-tower fuel regulator assembly is very odd and reversing the feed and return is easy to do...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts