Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my XT, it’s more fun than I should be allowed to have. It’s drinking oil like crazy...cracked ring land.
Question is what’s it worth?
Texas car no rust, king springs and KYBs about a 1 1/2 ago. Good tires and interior. A few dings
Or do I spend 4K on a new motor
Pics to follow....

Comments welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
319 Posts
I had the same predicament almost exactly a year ago, I did this but don't necessarily recommend it: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ont-clip-auto-manual-conversion-bolt-ons.html

With that said, the easiest solution is to get a pre-built forged shortblock, if you hunt and are patient you can find them available online for way under $2k. Refreshed heads (or getting lucky on buying a ready-to-go set), good gaskets, and swapping everything else over would only be another $1k. Would you be doing the work yourself? I vote spend the money, once the engine is done (and you do anything else planned) you should be a good for another 100k+ easy, my build has been worth it even with the headaches since there isn't really a comparable car out there.

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean 3.0R 5EAT
97 Posts
I would think a low mileage imported JDM engine for $600-$900 or a new OEM shorblock from Subaru for under $1800 would be a more cost effective option...
Since your so close to the JDM warehouese in Dallas...a cost effective low mileage used engine could be a low buck way to get your car fixed.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mechanic will build and install a fresh rebuild with forged pistons and rods and a few other mild mods for 4K installed

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think a low mileage imported JDM engine for $600-$900 or a new OEM shorblock from Subaru for under $1800 would be a more cost effective option...
Since your so close to the JDM warehouese in Dallas...a cost effective low mileage used engine could be a low buck way to get your car fixed.

A 2.5 turbo is rare in the JDM world. Most always a 2.0 JDM
Engine swaps are very complicated

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
319 Posts

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
758 Posts
Just curious, how do you know that the ringland is cracked? Can you tell by borescope? Compression/leak down tests?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,567 Posts
If you're not also showing symptoms of low compression (misfires, CEL light, rough idle, etc), I'd look elsewhere for drinking oil. Being an 05, I'd look at the turbo first. The VF40 had a tendency to eat the cold side oil seal when high-mileage shaft play got too high. Can also drink oil if the PCV system is not in great shape (hoses, valve, etc).

If you're not seeing a very high blow-by, high crankcase pressure, or compression issues, keep looking.

But if a new shortblock is in your future, I'd recommend a drop-in unit from Subaru. Like @owenslee said, a Subaru short block should run around $1800. Doing a rebuild it likely to run you more in labor and parts (OE oversized pistons are near $400). Your mechanic should only charge you "Head gasket replacement" labor at that point.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious, how do you know that the ringland is cracked? Can you tell by borescope? Compression/leak down tests?

Process of elimination at this point. Checked everything else...that’s all that’s left

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,567 Posts
What does that mean?

He's suggesting your current engine is junk and should only be used as a boat anchor and suggesting you use an older engine so you can have more boost than some diesel trucks.

While the EJ22T was a great motor (IMO, the best they made for turbocharging), it would not be a real solution for a short block replacement in your case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts