Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my outback xt runs badly at different rpm ranges. Here is a quick history of the car. Had a burnt exhaust valve on cylinder #4, had that head rebuilt etc by a machine shop, threw it back in the car ran ok for a bit. Now it has power like a non turbo car.... (loses boost?) SO I took the wagon into the dealer. They did a $100 "diagnostic" And found that it was misfiring on the #2 and #4 cylinder and losing boost. What could cause the misfire?

I am thinking maybe the timing skipped a tooth or the variable valve cam gear was damaged on re-installation? Im hoping its not something i need to dig into the valve train to find. Currently it gets around, im still driving it. It will shudder when letting out the clutch at low rpms, then shudder again around 4k rpms. Im new to this please help. :confused:

·
Registered
05 Outback turbo
10 Posts
I can only add that my '05 had a bad #4 exhaust valve last summer. It took 3 return visits to the dealer to fix the oil leaks. They blamed bad quality gaskets. after about 5 weeks it seemed to be stable.

Today it only runs smooth if its full of Castrol GTX oil for High Mileage cars and a high quality oil filter.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
You should make sure it's actually building boost. If you're hitting the targets and the turbo is ok, then a compression test would be the next thing to check. If that comes back ok, then a leak down. Do you happen to be burning any oil? Maybe some visible smoke coming out of the tailpipes? Maybe have someone watch you do a full throttle pull down the street looking for smoke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts