·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a little more money on the lower trims I would take the Outback over the Forester. Ride and comfort are worth the extra money.
I'm sure there are folks like my wife. She finds the Forester to be just the right size. In her mind the OB is too big and not something she would ever want to drive.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,641 Posts
I'm sure there are folks like my wife. She finds the Forester to be just the right size. In her mind the OB is too big and not something she would ever want to drive.
I wonder what effect the COVID 19 had to do with this?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,528 Posts
It’s weird. I’ve driven many models. The Forester drives more agile, the Outback drives smoother. Like a sports car vs a limousine for lack of a better comparison.

I was and still am impressed with the handling of the Fozzy despite it being an SUV.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT
26 Posts
Rather obvious to me why OB sales were down in June, I bought one in the middle of the month and OB inventory at most dealers in my area was minimal. I really wanted to take a good look at an Onyx but there wasn't any available within 100 miles so I ended up buying the last Green Limited XT I could find. I was afraid if I waited too long the inventory would be non existent and zero percent financing would expire.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,156 Posts
ugh - the forester is so boring. I got an ex GF to buy one, last time they had the turbos - 2005ish?. Even with the turbo, it was such a boring car, all the interior was inferior (cheaper). They improved it a lot about 9 years after that, actually made it look more like an outback, albiet still higher and shorter, but yaaaaaaawn. I had a loaner 2019 Forester - 2 of them actually different trims of same year - for over a month, while my 2013 OB was getting extensive repair work. Got to know them. Nothing made me consider it over an outback for the future. But Im sure the cheaper price and the less boxy look has made them more appealing. Doesnt any car company need that mid range car to sell more volume anyway? What company has their more expensive car sell the most units?

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT
26 Posts
ugh - the forester is so boring. I got an ex GF to buy one, last time they had the turbos - 2005ish?. Even with the turbo, it was such a boring car, all the interior was inferior (cheaper). They improved it a lot about 9 years after that, actually made it look more like an outback, slightly shorter and higher still, but yaaaaaaawn. I had a loaner 2019 Forester - 2 of them actually different trims of same year - for over a month, while my 2013 OB was getting extensive repair work. Got to know them. Nothing made me consider it over an outback for the future. But Im sure the cheaper price and the less boxy look has made them more appealing. Doesnt any car company need that mid range car to sell more volume anyway? What company has their more expensive car sell the most units?
But Zdug and his wife hate the OB!! And obviously that means so much to us here at SubaruOutback,org!!

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT
26 Posts
ugh - the forester is so boring. I got an ex GF to buy one, last time they had the turbos - 2005ish?. Even with the turbo, it was such a boring car, all the interior was inferior (cheaper). They improved it a lot about 9 years after that, actually made it look more like an outback, slightly shorter and higher still, but yaaaaaaawn. I had a loaner 2019 Forester - 2 of them actually different trims of same year - for over a month, while my 2013 OB was getting extensive repair work. Got to know them. Nothing made me consider it over an outback for the future. But Im sure the cheaper price and the less boxy look has made them more appealing. Doesnt any car company need that mid range car to sell more volume anyway? What company has their more expensive car sell the most units?
Have to agree , the Forester and it's bland everything is BORING not to mention the ride sucks and the motor is far from entertaining. It's a perfect competitor for the CX-5 which I had and traded on my OB because it was BORING!!

P.S. what's up with the pathetic troll and his hatred of Outbacks? Is he here to prove to us how stupid we all are for buying one?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,661 Posts
I wonder what effect the COVID 19 had to do with this?
I can see why the Outback lost sales in the Covid-19 influenced sales months.

What I don't understand is why the Forester gained so much.

My guess is that the trend may continue to a degree after things get a little more normal. I think there's something bigger than a pandemic going on here.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
878 Posts
It is less expensive and most likely perceived as being a bit more reliable than Outback with the new head unit. I'm curious if the Outback lost some of it's older customers due to the IP change? I had a 19 Touring and while it was a good car I did not feel it was anything special. The seats are better but are still a little small and the interior design is Impreza plus. I also feel build quality is a tad better on Outback . The ride IMO is a step back from 18. Harder and less compliant than my in-laws 18 premium.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
472 Posts
Keep in mind that there were no Outbacks built for almost two months just prior to June and in some parts of the country, including areas where Subaru is generally popular, vehicle dealers were just getting opened back up for business. (Same situation with other US-build models including Ascent) Forrester supplies were stronger because they are not built in the US and there were shiploads already in the pipeline...Subaru even had to rent space at an airport up north to park them because many dealers in the NE couldn't take delivery.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,528 Posts
I’m thinking that the Foresters are out for longer. There is more exposure on the road, parking lots, etc. The sport trim has the distinct orange highlights that catch your eye, and they’ve all been around since 2018. Whereas the 2020 remodeled outbacks were not available until the following year.

People waiting to upgrade might have jumped for the Foz - like me - that simply didn’t have time to wait. You sometimes can’t dictate when it’s time to buy a new one.

But I do agree that the Outback was a nicer car overall. The Forester is great, the Outback is much greater to me. I can be happy in either, but I’d be happiest in an Outback (XT)!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts