Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have just bought a 2006 Gen 3 Outback with the 3 litre H6 a couple weeks ago, low mileage gem which I'm absolutely loving so far. When I bought it the tyres were past their wear indicators so I got a set of new ones. Took her out for a first highway run last week and I have noticed a mysterious ticking noise coming from one of the driver side (right) wheels. Sounds like there is a rock lodged in a tyre kind of ticking noise. I have used the search on here and read a fair few threads, but nothing seems to be quite the same as this seems to be coming from the wheels and not the engine.

My notes and troubleshooting so far:
  • Only hear it at lower highway speeds (between 75-85 km/h or 46-50 mph) - any higher or lower speed and you no longer hear it.
  • Engine RPM does not change the pitch/frequency of the noise (I changed between gears at above speeds and the noise stays the same) - i'm hoping this means that my chain tensioner isn't to blame.
  • Full lock + load at low speed does not induce any ticking noise (so I don't think I have busted CV's)
  • Turning at speed does not change noise (so I don't think it's a wheel bearing - plus from the past they sound different)
  • Checked tyres for rocks/objects - few small wedged pebbles removed but no change in noise.
  • Checked inside of rims (I have read elsewhere people found the balance weights rubbing on calipers) - but all clear there as far as I can tell.
I noticed it while we were on a decent drive out to the country the other week, have since clocked about 800km and there's no difference in the loudness or anything so I'm not sure if it's even something to worry about.

Any ideas as to what it might be or help appreciated!

Cheers
Roly

·
Registered
211 Posts
Possible the brake rotor dust shield(s) got bent into the rotor during the tire change. That would be my first suspect. Sometimes a exhuast heat shield can be loose too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool i'll get the wheels off and give that a check on the weekend. If the dust shield was bent though wouldn't the noise be present at all speeds?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I think in another thread, we have discussed a fuel pulse damper as a possible source of noise. It sits in-line with the fuel line before the fuel rail, and it's job would be to dampen out the pressure oscillations that would occur with your injectors opening and closing. Depending on where it's mounted, I think it could make such a noise heard in the cabin.

Just thought I'd toss it out there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Cool i'll get the wheels off and give that a check on the weekend. If the dust shield was bent though wouldn't the noise be present at all speeds?
IME, yes the dust shield will make noise at all speeds if bent enough, but maybe you just have a high spot of rust on the outside edge of the rotor that's touching it. Check that the brake caliper is sliding freely on the pins as well while you're there. And that there's nothing loose (bands, long debris) on the CV axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IME, yes the dust shield will make noise at all speeds if bent enough, but maybe you just have a high spot of rust on the outside edge of the rotor that's touching it. Check that the brake caliper is sliding freely on the pins as well while you're there. And that there's nothing loose (bands, long debris) on the CV axle.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give the CV and caliper assembly a good inspection on the weekend and also try swapping the tyres around, see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled the right side wheels off on the weekend, gave each one a spin - neither seems to have any obstructions or is rubbing on anything out of the ordinary. CV's all clear, nothing loose hanging on to them, no tears in the boot or anything that could be flinging grease out. Just to be sure I bent back the dust shields a touch as well.
I did find some loose trim at the bottom front right near the bumper which I thought maybe could be flapping at that speed to cause the noise so i clipped that back together too.

Test drive afterwards... and its still there! :confused:

The only other thing to note is I do have some warp in the front discs - wonder if this just at those speeds is enough to cause the noise?

Also the front wheel has one of these clip-on style weights on the inside of the rim, anyone come across them flapping about per say?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts