Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06's airbag light has come on a few times (2-3) in the past 4 months.

About 3 weeks ago, I reflowed the PCB board and the common cold solder joints.

Yesterday, the red airbag light came on again. I looked up at the passenger airbag/seatbelt indicator lights, and they were lit appropriately (passenger airbag off, as there was no passenger).

Should I try reflowing again? Is there a way to read the code at home or do I have to take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
18,190 Posts
I'm not aware of any way to check for codes other than with the dealer's SSMIII or equivalent. However, when the ignition is turned to ON and left there (engine not started), all four LEDs in the overhead panel should be lit for a few seconds. This might be a way to check if the soldering for the LEDs is still a factor.

On my 07, all four come on, i.e., seat belt (diagram), passenger airbag on (diagram), "Pass Air Bag" (words), passenger airbag off (diagram), and after a few seconds the first two go off (no passenger in seat).

I suspect that during that initial period the airbag control module goes through start up tests, including verifying that there's current through the LEDs.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just came on again today in a parking lot. I immediately stopped the car, and turned it back to On. All 4 lights on the overhead dash came on. I started the car again, and the airbag light turned off.

·
Registered
18,190 Posts
It just came on again today in a parking lot. I immediately stopped the car, and turned it back to On. All 4 lights on the overhead dash came on. I started the car again, and the airbag light turned off.
Did it come on just when the engine was being started/immediately after it started, or did it come on while moving/driving in the parking lot?

Perhaps next time your main warning light comes on, and without turning the car off or changing anything else, try pushing/tapping on the ceiling display. If there is a bad joint, just a bit of movement might cause it to make contact and turn the warning light off. That might confirm if there's still a connection problem at the board.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,221 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,221 Posts
(not) For airbags?

@traildogck can the onboard diagnostic tool of 2005-2009 be used for airbag code reading?

or are you stuck with grounding a plug out counting the flashes like 2000-2004 cars.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
@traildogck can the onboard diagnostic tool of 2005-2009 be used for airbag code reading?

or are you stuck with grounding a plug out counting the flashes like 2000-2004 cars.
Huh?

You are asking the wrong guy on that one. I have never used the on board tool, or grounded a plug....

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,221 Posts
Huh?

You are asking the wrong guy on that one. I have never used the on board tool, or grounded a plug....
...but you have disconnected a curtain airbag to install a A pillar gauge pod.

so in denver metro traffic when that garbage truck whales you in the side,...you will come out of it looking like this,...and able to plug right into Francine or the Cherry Bomb in a symbiotic relationship.

·
Registered
'07 Outback 3.0R LL Bean, '74 BMW 2002, '65 Datsun L320, '99 Land Cruiser
199 Posts
Are you saying that you already re-soldered the connections on at the overhead light, or somewhere else? A past thread said the overhead light connections commonly caused this.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
Go get another overhead light from the salvage yard, and start over on the solder fix.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you saying that you already re-soldered the connections on at the overhead light, or somewhere else? A past thread said the overhead light connections commonly caused this.
I reflowed the connections on the overhead light. I didn't desolder or use much new solder - just enough to keep the tip covered. I reflowed the 6 resistor connections and the 8 LED connections on the board.

I believe this is the thread you are refering too?

Go get another overhead light from the salvage yard, and start over on the solder fix.
So it sounds like my repair didn't do the job? The nearest salvage yard is over 110 miles away, so that's not really an easy option for me, like it maybe for others.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
I would desolder, and start over then

1 - 13 of 13 Posts