Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Well-loved 2006 2.5XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to replace the radiator. Seemed like a fairly straightforward job... until THE FOAM ISSUE. There are 3 strips of black, gap-filling foam between the "frame" and the radiator: Top, Bottom and Passenger sides. Dealer wants close to $100 for the pieces and they'd need to be special-ordered. Went to Home Depot (furnace area) and Pep Boys to see what might work. No luck. This foam AND adhesive has to handle heat to 250F, I think. Has anyone got any experience with this?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I would just reuse the old stuff?

·
Registered
Well-loved 2006 2.5XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that first, of course. Foam doesn't separate from the "frame" or the radiator without damage. It's stuck to both parts very well. Would have to be cut-away. But then the issue of reattaching. Need an adhesive that will handle heat and not be a complete mess to use in tight spaces.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
I'd separate it from the radiator and leave it on the frame. I also wouldn't bother with regluing.

·
Registered
18,795 Posts
Referred to as "packing", #10, 18 and 24, in http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_22/cooling_system/engine_cooling/illustration_1/

I suspect it's purpose is only to close the gaps either to help direct air through the condenser and radiator, or to reduce sounds (e.g. whistling) that air rushing through the gaps might make.

Subaruonlineparts.com currently shows the upper and lower horizontal ones at just less $14 each, and the third in the low 20s (depending on which of the two part numbers is applicable). (Of course, there's shipping to be added, but perhaps your local dealer might match prices.) The strips appear to be molded-to-shape and that probably dictates the price more than anything else.

A Google search for high temperature foam tape shows there's quite a few mfrs/suppliers of material that might be suitable, but which one (there's all sorts -- open cell, closed cell, silicone etc) and whether they will sell in relatively small quantities, and at what price, would have to be determined.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,218 Posts
a decent adhesive for that might be silicone sealer. High temp and flexible. Strong enough to hold glass aquariums together.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, 1995 FWD Legacy sedan
29 Posts
When I did mine, I pulled the foam strips off of the old radiator and used a bead of RTV to attach them to the new one. The RTV didn't really stick for long, but it was long enough to get everything reassembled; and after that, they were held in place well enough by friction. $100 would be crazy; that's more than the radiator costs!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts