Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am long time Mercedes-Benz fan and do all work on my MB myself. To get to the purpose of this thread I just purchased a 2006 Outback 136k miles. I bought it cheap planing to fix it up but it is turning out that the problem is the worst case scenario.

The problem is that the engine doesn't start.
The starter tries but it can't turn the engine even an inch. Took out the starter and tested it.

Also I was thinking maybe one of the pulleys/water pump were seized. Removed all the belts and timing belt on the front. Everything turns freely except the crankshaft. I put a socket on the crankshaft trying to spin it just a little the shaft doesn't move even 1mm. The timing belt wasn't broken.

This car was reposesed by the bank from which I bought it from. I know it was running when the bank got it, because it shows (tacho) running on the pictures they had posted. Regardless it is not running now and most likely this car was sitting for several months.

What do you guys suggest at this point?

My second question is: If this motor is gone, I don't want to rebuilt it but would like to swap it out. What engines would fit on this car? Do I have to stick to 06+ outback or would another Subaru engine fit on it? Meaning mostly a bolt on solution, I don't want to create a hybrid engine.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,469 Posts
Auto or manual?

Obviously you can swap with another 06. I am fairly certain you can extend the range to 05-09 for manuals, auto trans may require you to get the ECU from the donor car to get the same range.

Also, consider deleting your other thread, you generally only need one to get noticed on this board.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,218 Posts
maybe a borescope would show the interior f a cylinder that is rusted. Sitting for several months could have rusted the rings to the cylinder wall I guess.

was there oil in the crankcase?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Former owner may have added something to the fuel tank knowing it was going to be taken. Find out that the issue is have the fuel checked. If it was damaged by something in the tank you can probably get the bank to cover some of your losses.

·
Registered
2006 Wagon 2.5i M/T
37 Posts
'Former owner may have added something to the fuel tank knowing it was going to be taken."
If he can't turn the crank either way, then the engine is definitely seized solid which may very well have been deliberate. The usual trick is add 2 quarts of sodium silicate (water glass) to the oil and warm the engine thoroughly - the precipitated silica (glass) seizes the engine bearings solid. It is the way that engines were deliberately and certifiably disabled under the US govt. "cash for clunkers" stimulus program a few years ago.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
838 Posts
If you find that the engine was sabotaged, you may want to talk to a lawyer about the sale being held under false pretenses. May also want to mention that to the bank you bought it from.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
The bank will say that it was sold "As Is".

I would just hop on ebay and buy a used engine before getting a lawyer involved. Sure, if you win you'll be in good shape. But if you don't, suddenly you owe hundreds/thousands in legal fees and consultation. And you'll still have a dead motor.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,600 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts