Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'18 2.5 Outback LTD, Magnetite Grey; '11 Outback 2.5i LTD; '06 Outback LTD, MT; '02 Legacy GT wagon, MT
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my 4 or 5 motors is not working. The one that makes the back of the seat go up and down. I asked my dealer if they could replace that one motor, and they said they only replace the whole assembly. Is that how it works? Wouldn't it cost 5X as much to do it that way?

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
princeli,

The FSM for your generation OB shows 3 motors for the driver's seat. I'll upload the pages for you below. I also saw a video on YouTube for pretty much the same thing in the last week or so. Do a search for it under Subaru Power Seat or similar.

There is a separate motor for the seat back, and if you're an exploratory DIYer, like me, I'd test that motor switch out and see if it was the culprit. It may just need cleaning, or replacement. If that's not it, take the seat apart, and remove the motor. Then take it apart and see if you can't get it to work.

The motor may have screws that allow its disassembly. If its riveted, simply grind or drill out the rivets (replace them with small bolts when finished repairs). Typically these motors get dirty brushes and just need cleaning and lubing. I've had all kinds of motors for wipers, seats, power antennas, apart and they are all fixable unless destroyed by corrosion or broken parts. Take your time.

If that route isn't for you, find another wreck and take just what you need to fix yours. If you can afford the down time on the car, this is a much cheaper route than going a new seat assembly from the dealer. Good Luck!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts