Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've searched and read here and other sources... no problems seem to mimic mine, so here goes:
I have ~95k on my OB... had it about a yr (~25k miles put on in that time)
Occasionally, un-related to operating temp, I get VERY hard shifts... BANGS into each gear, and downshifts hard as well.
It goes away after a few minutes, and will be fine, sometimes for days.
The other day, during one of these 'episodes' I switched to "Sport" mode, and attempted to upshift manually, since it was also shifting at higher RPM points than normal (not in "Sport" at this time)
Well... It would not allow an upshift from 3rd to 4th, despite turning 4 grand+, at over 45-50 mph... the upshift arrow would not light!

Any ideas???

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
When was the last time the trans fluid was changed?

What fluid was used?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluid was changed before I bought it... It is due. Fluid is very clean, however. No idea what was used... it was a Subie dealer, but they are real slimy [email protected][email protected]$! (Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru, Orangeburg, NY) I will NEVER go back to that dealer again.

I probably should have added that the problem frequently begins with an event such as a hard braking, and sometimes seems to exhibit "torque bind" in full lock turns when it is happening.... Wondering if something in the diff, or torque converter is getting 'confused' or out of sync. The fact that it wouldnt LET me manually upshift in conditions that would be OK any other time, tells me something non-mechanical may be involved (sensor?, solenoid?)

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
transmission problems are expensive enough to warrant trying some more moderate treatments first.

3 fluid drain/changes using Subaru ATF-HP or other high quality fluid would be good to try. (drive a few miles between each drain) Perhaps some Trans-X or other fluid treatment too.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
The suggested three drain/fill with Subaru ATF type HP fluid is a good idea.

Also, are all the tires the exact same brand, model, and size, and are their tread depths within 2/32-inch of each other?

Do the AT Oil Temp, Sport and Check Engine warning lights come on when the key is at On but the engine not yet started, and do they go out when the engine is started? Do any come on or flash when the engine is running (other than when the gear lever is switched to Sport, in which case the Sport light should be on)?

My thought: The intermittent hard shifts, high shifting rpm and inability to manually upshift at that same time might mean the transmission is in failsafe mode, which could hold it in 3rd gear. But I would expect that the Sport or AT Oil Temp light, or the CEL to come on, unless, perhaps the fault appears only once, i.e., for a moment and then it's back to normal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My thought: The intermittent hard shifts, high shifting rpm and inability to manually upshift at that same time might mean the transmission is in failsafe mode, which could hold it in 3rd gear. But I would expect that the Sport or AT Oil Temp light, or the CEL to come on, unless, perhaps the fault appears only once, i.e., for a moment and then it's back to normal.
I would agree. It sounds like the transmission has defaulted to high line pressure. I had this happen in a different vehicle when the MAF sensor was on the fritz. Perhaps the MAF sensor needs to be cleaned or there is damage to the wiring to the MAF.

Just my $.02. Good luck,

- Jeremy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmmmmm.... all good thought.. THank you! No CEL or any other warning lights.. I will check the key-on, engine not running, lights..... All tires of same age/wear/brand/type/size..... properly inflated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing