Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 2.5i (253)
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an 06 Outback for parts in Wyoming. This is not mine, but i was able to check it out. The Pictures are a good indication of the condition of the vehicle that sustained front end damage. The owner is looking to sell the vehicle complete if possible. Check out the photos and let me know if you have any questions.

s

Attachments

·
Registered
06 2.5i (253)
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are more photos. The owners says that the timing belt was pinched but that the "lower end should be good" on the 2.5. I'm not exactly sure what that means so if you're interested in the motor, I'll ask whatever questions you might have. I do know that the rear hatch and rear light pods are in great condition and I believe all the glass is intact too.

s

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
Here are more photos. The owners says that the timing belt was pinched but that the "lower end should be good" on the 2.5. I'm not exactly sure what that means so if you're interested in the motor, I'll ask whatever questions you might have. I do know that the rear hatch and rear light pods are in great condition and I believe all the glass is intact too.

s
moved to the classified.

low end and top end of a engine, are terms typically used for Inline or V6/ V8 etc engines.

lower end = where the pistons are, (typically on here called a "short block")

top end = the heads/ and valves/ valve covers,

(a low end plus a top end is typically on here called a long block, as with a horizontally opposed engine such things are not stacked one on top of the other).

when a timing belt is pinched in a interference engine. the valves touch each other and / or the pistons and get bent.
(as the interfere with each other without the timing belt).

So the seller is suggesting he believes the pistons and the insides of the short block ("bottom end") are still OK and ready to be reused.

·
Registered
06 2.5i (253)
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know. With my 2.5 pulled, I would have a hard time defining "top" and "bottom" with my v6/v8/straight 6 understanding of motors. Also, I will say that I am potentially a bit too paranoid about timing on an interference motor and with minimal understanding of the Subaru power plant, a "pinched" timing belt would have me a bit nervous. Hence, the reason I'm fielding questions for the owner rather than making judgments myself.

Cheers,
s

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
Good to know. With my 2.5 pulled, I would have a hard time defining "top" and "bottom" with my v6/v8/straight 6 understanding of motors. Also, I will say that I am potentially a bit too paranoid about timing on an interference motor and with minimal understanding of the Subaru power plant, a "pinched" timing belt would have me a bit nervous. Hence, the reason I'm fielding questions for the owner rather than making judgments myself.

Cheers,
s
as the engine from the wreck on a engine stand I would think a inspection camera could be fished into it to see what is good and what is bad, with some turning by hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.