Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best and easiest engine to swap into my 2006 Subaru Outback legacy to make power?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,587 Posts
You didn't mention what engine and transmission you have already, but realistically the best and easiest way would be to sell the one you have and buy a Gen 3 H6 if you want automatic or the Gen 3 XT if you want a stick.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I agree with @SilverOnyx Subarus are not GMs or Fords. Presently spun a bearing figure I get online and order a rebuild kit. Have a beer party and turn some wrenches.... yeah no.... bought a JDM and spent 4 days dropping it in. Swap into an XT and buy a bigger Turbo.

Or go retro and drop a 351 Cleveland or LS engine with a big hood cowl.... that will make some power

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,060 Posts
What would be the best and easiest engine to swap into my 2006 Subaru Outback legacy to make power?
Considering your stipulation of "best" and "easiest", I would say swapping in whatever is in there right now would certainly fulfill your requirement of "making power".

Unless you mean more power, in which case follow the advice of @SilverOnyx.

And if perchance you mean a lot more power, follow the advice @scoopburt. :)

Honestly, you'll have to tell us more about what your goals are here, before we can offer you a good response.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,588 Posts
you might consider a supercharger kit but, need more info on present vehicle as said above.

paging @cardoc

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,052 Posts
oh this thread again:

L92 GMC 6.2 = +400hp

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,139 Posts
How much power you want?????

Torque at the crank and torque to the wheels vary depending on the transmission. An auto will suck away about 30% of the engine's power as it transfers the torque. A manual, about 5%, but can go up depending on the center diff slip.

The H4 N/A has possibilities to be modified to about 270HP with boost from a SC or Turbo. You could get more power swapping in a EJ255 with all the appropriate wiring and computer. Find a wrecked WRX or STI and swap all the drivetrain and harnesses to match what you want for your car. I have a friend in VA that has an 07 WRX 5 door and he found an 07 STI and is currently making the 5 door an STI 5 door. All the drivetrain, wiring, computers, rear end, brakes, etc are being swapped in his barn. (I call it a barn because it's an old barn that had concrete floors put in.) Both cars parked next to each other. At the moment, they are stripped and parts laying out. He's waiting for his heads to come back to assemble the engine and put everything together in the 5 door. He's been working on it in his spare time for the last 6 months or so. He got the wrecked STI CHEAP.

You can swap in a EZ30R with wiring and computers, do some custom work and if you do it right, you can get close to 500 HP with a SC or turbo setup. Do a EG33 and built right you can get over 1000 HP.

Quick and easy is install a SC on your engine with larger injectors, fuel pressure regulator to increase the pressure, put in an intercooler, change out all your fuel hoses for E85 compatibility and tune it. Run up to 10 psi as long as the mechanical is good.

Power is relative. You want it off the line, or do you want it at the top end? A little of both? It'll cost you either way.

Quicker is finding an XT and modify what's already on the car. If it's got a version 2 EJ255, you take the engine out, swap in STI pistons/rods and you've lowered the compression ratio that allows for more fuel and air, which means higher boost. Put in the larger turbo, rework the piping, larger intercooler, maybe add in a WTA for more effective air temps, tune it right and you can get over 300 AWHP even with an automatic.

Advantage of an auto is the turbo won't spool down as much as with a manual, but you lose some of the engine output through the drivetrain, mainly the TC.

To give you a rough estimate on a build, my VDC is up to $50k total from the cost of buying it for the project to where it is today. The latest high end cost was the Level 10 transmission. But, as far as I know it is still the only one of it's kind in the world. Others that have tried to boost one of these engines, EZ30D, have failed. Either they started with a poor running engine, or their tuning was way off. High compression engines are a tricky beast.

Check out Raptor, Rotrex, and others. Look at your fabrication cost and labor times for a SC vs turbo. Turbo you have to change a lot more than if you put on a SC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts