Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 MX-5 RF, 10 Outback 3.6R
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I just picked up an 06 Outback non turbo with a 5 speed pretty cheap, knowing it needed a bit of work. Its got 195k and it looks like 4th gear synchro is on its way out. Grinds going into gear every time unless I rev match perfectly.

I just want to confirm any Outback 5 speed from 05-09 will work. I found a thread showing the 5th gear ratio is slightly different on the 08-09 but final drive is the same (4.11). I believe they should all fit and used the same style clutch but just want to confirm.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
Hi All. I just picked up an 06 Outback non turbo with a 5 speed pretty cheap, knowing it needed a bit of work. Its got 195k and it looks like 4th gear synchro is on its way out. Grinds going into gear every time unless I rev match perfectly.

I just want to confirm any Outback 5 speed from 05-09 will work. I found a thread showing the 5th gear ratio is slightly different on the 08-09 but final drive is the same (4.11). I believe they should all fit and used the same style clutch but just want to confirm.

Thanks!
I believe you are correct, but the FSM is the place to turn for ratio information.

But grinding going into every gear doesn't sound like a trans issue (unless the previous owner didn't use the clutch at ALL). Will it still grind if you double-clutch? Is it smooth/easy to get into 1st at a stop light?

·
Registered
17 MX-5 RF, 10 Outback 3.6R
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you are correct, but the FSM is the place to turn for ratio information.

But grinding going into every gear doesn't sound like a trans issue (unless the previous owner didn't use the clutch at ALL). Will it still grind if you double-clutch? Is it smooth/easy to get into 1st at a stop light?
Thanks for the reply. I might not have been clear, it only grinds going into 4th. All other gears shift just fine. I did also replace the transmission fluid with Subaru 75-90 gear oil just recently and it didn't help. The clutch is worn and does need to be replaced, but since all other gears shift fine I'm thinking its the synchro on 4.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,752 Posts
if someone put synthetic gear oil in it right before selling it, some folks claim they get clashing because synchros don't slow down(?) fast enough.

you might try a name brand NON-synthetic fluid change. Or, I have read that Walmart/supertech synthetic BLEND works - it's cheap too.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
Just commenting here as I put 150k on my 03 5spd and am an ex-auto tech.

If 4th is grinding every time unless rev matched, and you've drained and filled with Subaru 75-90 with no change in behavior, you're absolutely correct. The synchro has failed and either requires a rebuild or replacement.

Reactions: RedRyan98
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.