Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an '06 Outback, which is my third Outback. This one has a unique problem to me...

The radio has no reception, no display and no volume control. However, I hear static when it's turned on. The CD player will play a CD but again, no display, no volume control or ability to skip, random, etc.

Thoughts?

Thank you

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,618 Posts
not sure on 06 but, antenna traces on glass could be scratched, or, the antenna amplifier has lost power or gone bad. That's why the CD sounds OK, it's an antenna-related issue.

If the head unit is a replacement, the powered amplifier may not have been hooked-up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. If the antenna is the culprit, would this also attribute to the lack of display and volume/button control?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
775 Posts
You probably have two, separate problems. No AM/FM reception is due to broken wires in the rubber boots that carry wires into the rear hatch. Inside the boot are wires that carry power to the antenna preamp in the hatch. That's a common problem in Outbacks of that era. The display and control problem could be some cold solder connections inside the radio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts