Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Doof Wagon ['06 Baja EJ251] started having transmission issues a few months ago, so while I try to save up for that repair it's been mostly sitting. I run it once a week or so to keep everything from turning to goo.
Yesterday I started it and it immediately roared up to redline as through I were standing on the gas pedal; coulda been real bad if I'd been driving at the time. Checked accelerator/cables, not stuck or caught. Can't start it at all now because it keeps doing it. Did I lose a recall clip somewhere? Cleaned the idle control, haven't poked the throttle body otherwise yet. TPS issue? Any troubleshooting advice much appreciated.

Secondly, any knowledge in the New England area of reputable transmission rebuild & repair shops?
(Sadly it's an automatic, not my preference but it's what I could get)

·
Premium Member
15,928 Posts
Your car does not have a throttle cable. It's called a drive-by-wire (DBW) system. The pedal assembly (throttle position) and the throttle body are electronic.

There have been some posted know issues about this. Do you have any codes?

·
Super Moderator
25,273 Posts
Your car does not have a throttle cable. It's called a drive-by-wire (DBW) system. The pedal assembly (throttle position) and the throttle body are electronic.

There have been some posted know issues about this. Do you have any codes?
2006 plain baja I think has a EJ251 in it,...not a EJ253. ??

(edit: all plain baja should have EJ251 in them,)

·
Super Moderator
25,273 Posts
a while back I had a mouse eat a hole in the paper air filter, and a small chunk of it got sucked down by the butterfly after a mile of driving.

I was able to suck it out with a shop vac, but to start it with the chunk the car would race to redline before shutting it down.

(I was happy I had a new filter for it so I did not have to drive something else to the store to get one,
and for such emergencies I keep at least one new or old air filter on the shelf for everything I got....old ones marked "old")

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welp... Indeed there was a mouse nest in there with some of it caught in the butterfly, so I pulled all that out, but there's no tension on the cables. Guessing return spring is hosed or some such. :RTFM:
It's not throwing codes either so nothing electronic.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
06 has a throttle cable.

I know of a great shop but it's in WV.

Was the nest the source of the problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem remains after cleaning it out, so either there's still skidge caught inside meaning I need to take the throttle body off and clean it, or the cable is bad, or both, or something else I haven't figured out yet...oy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thoughts on frayed throttle cable vs shot return spring?

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body and butterfly valve entirely.

Start it up and see if that fixes it. Free diagnostic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, was outside in process of this already, good to know I was on the right track. Much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Thank you, was outside in process of this already, good to know I was on the right track. Much appreciated!
I've got a 2006 myself so I want to keep on top of it.

No rust and we just replaced like everything.

Hope to get many many years out of it.

Keep us updated for issues you have!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WELP. The story so far:

(For reference: I'm in MA and we are having a boom in rodent & rabbit populations that's worse than I've ever seen; chipmunks, squirrels, mice etc. are wreaking absolute **** on EVERYTHING, from our gardens to house foundations to vehicles. Don't even ask what they're doing to my basement.)

Recap: She'd been parked less than two weeks while this happened. Chipmunk nested in the air filter. I cleared everything I could get at by hand & shopvac, problem remained. My next move after r/o cable& spring issues was to pull the throttle body... sh*t!!

Literally. Chipmunk poop & pee had been going thru the butterfly and gunked everything up bad. 2 hours of cleaning later, all better.

Dealership quoted me at least $3K to tear down & rebuild the trans. Indie shops say at least $2500.
I waited way, way too long for the opportunity to finally get my paws on a Baja, I want her to last forever. Is this a rare case of dealership-is-better?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts