Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Tribeca
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say hello and thanks to whoever set up this forum for all of us to meet.

I had a bad head gasket on my B9 and after much research decided to get a JDM motor instead of doing the gasket. Car has 145 k miles on it. Bought it at auction for more than I should have. I have the old motor out and wasn’t diligent enough to keep the torque converter from following. Not sure if I messed up a seal in the process. Then I tried to pull the TC out to inspect and wish I hadn’t.

I have had a lot of Subbies over the years. None ever died. Either were hit by bad drivers or were stolen. My newest one up to now is an 87 GL. Still drive it. But this Tribeca is my first with an automatic transmission.

I always work on my own stuff so I’m confident I can do this. However can use some tips. First I assume there’s a seal in there. How can I check it. Maybe I should just replace it to be safe. I’m looking at workshop manuals and don’t see much about the Tran. I guess this is a 5eat. Any advice is appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Joe

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
958 Posts
In a nut shell once you disconnect the A/C and PS plus some other misc hoses and disconnect the fuel line(s), you can remove the engine in it's entirety after you unplug the main harness. Once you do that, the front of the transmission is accessible and you can replace the seal, I would also do the rear main seal on the engine and tail shaft seal on the trans while engine is out..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts